Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

take apart a mint set?

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
629 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2012  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlbumAccumulator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased about 40 1971-1981 Mint sets from several sources at around face value and many of them had a greenish-white haze on the coins. I broke up the sets and was able to remove the haze on most of the coins with acetone. The coins that I could not remove the film went into the change bucket.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17090 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2012  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like many others I too break out coins from proof and mint sets. Why pay someone else that did the same.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
62440 Posts
Valued Member
107 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2012  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nicscoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver sets we break apart all the item, expecially when the whole set isn't nice and resalable
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14146 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2012  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Fuzzy, best way to find nice coins is to pull them from Mint Sets. When selling later date Mint Sets, most dealers will only pay face value when buying them so might as well use them to complete your late date sets.
Pillar of the Community
United States
587 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2012  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billymac11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cut away. Keep the ones you intend to sell intact within their section of the packaging.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bump! Great topic as I have mixed feelings for the Mint Sets I personally purchased in the 70's and 80's -- I don't think I have the proper emotions to cut those up just yet.

If anybody has a strong opinion on reason to not cut up mint sets, let me know. I have around 100 sets I recently purchased, sitting on my desk. The scissors are sitting nearby.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What would be they reason you want to cut them up? They don't sell that great either way, well at least I can't get squat. I got a complete set 1968-1998 for my own collection upgrades, and all the extras have been trying to sell off... Tough crowds out there!
Learn More...
United States
62440 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If anybody has a strong opinion on reason to not cut up mint sets, let me know. I have around 100 sets I recently purchased, sitting on my desk. The scissors are sitting nearby.
All you need now are the appropriate Dansco or Whitman albums to fill.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cut them up and soak the coins in 91% alcohol or acetone or they'll all tarnish soon.

Some of these dates are among the worst for tarnish (especially the '71 and the '70).

A lot of moderns are going to be tough in nice and pristine condition because no rolls were saved and mint set coins are all being lost.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was 1974, I remember the day my grandfather was telling me to never cut up mint sets. He died two years later. So my perspective was more old-school. His advice stuck until about 5 months ago when I cut up some of the sets he gave me. Will do the acetone dip as some of these coins do feel like something is on the surface. My disappointment is that I waited all these years and only recently discovered how horrible many of these coins are inside the sets. I am finding some really nice stuff too but just pointing out my opinion has changed on what the Mint was selling to collectors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
822 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Cut them up and soak the coins in 91% alcohol or acetone or they'll all tarnish soon.

@cladking: How long would you recommend soaking them, and what would be the best method to dry them?
Searching for some US modern coins (cents through dollars) via my want list.
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always been leery about taking coins out of the mint cello figuring that if I changed my mind and later wanted them sealed it was too late. Yesterday I got a Kennedy half dollar that I needed for my set and it arrived in the cello.
I cut it out and added it to my collection and probably won't think twice about doing it again.
I have a few mint and proof sets from the 50's and 60's but those I wouldn't even consider cutting up. Those I want to keep intact.
So I guess I'd be OK liberating individual coins someone else separated, but I'd have to keep original intact sets together.
That's just the way I feel about my coins but I can understand others wanting to open them also.
I never met a man I didn't like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didn't like - DeputyMax
Pillar of the Community
United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@cladking: How long would you recommend soaking them, and what would be the best method to dry them?

If they have no tarnish then a few hours to one day should be ample.

If they are tarnished already then soak them until they aren't for up to about three days. It might take multiple soaks but if they aren't OK after three or four attempts then it will require stronger measures. These stronger measures often ruin the coin.

I rinse them in warm water and lay them out on a towel to dry them. Gently pat them dry and then flip them and gently pat again.

It breaks my heart to see what's happening to these coins. There were already far too few nice attractive specimens of most dates and now they are all going bad one at time.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
822 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2018  06:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you cladking! I will do that with some mint sets I've been meaning to break open. This sense of urgency should motivate me to actually crack them out this time.
Searching for some US modern coins (cents through dollars) via my want list.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05