Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Beware Of Westminster Mint From Madison Wisconsin

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 10,593Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community

United States
3788 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2012  10:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add yup7676 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Guys. just joined today.. first post here hate it to be negative post but I think its important that I let others know about Westminster Mint out of Madison Wisconsin.

I responded to an Ad they ran on December 10th, 2012 in the USA TODAY newspaper. The Ad is for 2013 Silver Maple Leaf Coins. They advertise the coins for 33.95 each plus $2 for shipping and handling for the entire order.

I called today at 10:10 AM to place an order for 6 of them to give as gifts. I placed my order with the rep by the name of Jacob. When I checked with him regarding their charge for the coins, he told me I was to be charged 34.95 because I was using my credit card. However, here's the rub-

The Ad I have in my hands, and many other Ads I have saved from them, does not ANYWHERE mention a surcharge for using your credit card. This is deceptive and not upfront. They can charge and add surcharges all they want, but not being transparent is not proper of them, and it amounts to bait and switch.

so in closing, be careful who you order from, make sure what they offer in print is what they charge you. If they plan on adding extra costs that are not advertised, stay way... and in this case beware of Westminster Mint out of Madison Wisconsin.
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2012  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, given that it's been only a few hours, instead of giving them the chance to make it right - or cancelling your order - you immediately registered here to complain about them?

Just so I have my interpretation of the situation correct, you know.
822 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2012  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scubu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Report them...

Master Card

Visa

I do it all the time.

They can offer a discount for cash but not charge a premium over an advertised price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3788 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2012  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yup7676 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well my post was to let others beware of Ads placed that do not have surcharges in the fine print. What would be wrong in posting about that?

I politely let them know I wasnt going to accept the charges and have put a complaint with the BBB even tho it wont do much.

Again, my point is. if you place an Ad and and sdvertise a product for a certain price and do not mention surcharges and aren't upfront, why not honor the advertised price?

Instead, I was told by the VP that they cant put everything in their Ads and that was the cost of their doing business. ... and again I say, it is bait and switch to offer a price and then when you respond to the offer it turns out its higher. I was not aware they did this, Westminter Mint out of Madison Wisconsin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3788 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2012  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yup7676 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oh and btw, it was not a few hours ago, this was this morning..
Pillar of the Community
United States
4897 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2012  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably gonna be controversial here but buying bullion on credit is just not smart anyway. That extra 3% that the credit company charges the seller can be the difference between profit and loss for the seller...margins are slim enough on silver for dealers....just saying.....
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2012  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have told Jacob, "I'll be sending you a money order".
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2012  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Probably gonna be controversial here but buying bullion on credit is just not smart anyway. That extra 3% that the credit company charges the seller can be the difference between profit and loss for the seller...margins are slim enough on silver for dealers....just saying.....

Thats a fair point, but something the seller should take into account on their own. If they accept credit thats their decision
Pillar of the Community
United States
4897 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2012  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks baseball. I guess I see things as old school. If you need to buy it on credit (major life purchases...house, car etc...withstanding) you just simply do not need it.
Edited by amida17
12/12/2012 11:53 pm
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2012  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see how people would view it that way. I pay my credit card off every month but use it for everything. I see it as free money with the cash back rewards
Pillar of the Community
United States
4897 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2012  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. I pay my credit card off every month but use it for everything

I get that too. But that is a covenience that you, not the seller, should pay for...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3788 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2012  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yup7676 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes same here, I have no cash and dont write checks anymore, just use cards for everything pay the bill in full. and furthermore, my cards have offered me 0% apr fixed for the balance of 2013 so one card I have used to purchase a few proof coins. when the zero apr is up, iam done paying in full :D
Pillar of the Community
United States
3788 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2012  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yup7676 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
however, the GIST of this topic is the following- do not offer in print one price, then later add extra surcharges.

I dont think anyone here wants to be charged extra for anything if the Ad says otherwise.. and coins is no exception. IF there is no mention in the Ad about a surcharge for using a credit,,, to turn around and say you want more for a credit card is bait and switch, deceptive advertising.
Pillar of the Community
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2012  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Freedom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have always taken it for granted that when you see an advertised price like this, it is always a "Cash" type transaction. I.e., Cashiers Check, Personal Check or Wire of funds. Every company that I have purchased coins/bullion from have two prices, one for CC and one for cash.

To answer some of the posts above about using credit cards, I buy with my check card which is treated like a CC by the sellers. I very seldom write
checks to anybody, don't like the idea of using "Wired" funds and have to pay for Cashiers Checks anyways so the extra $1.00 or so is really not
a bone of contention with me if it is what I really want.

You hear it "All The Time" on this site, if you like it then do it, it is your coin/bullion anyways.

Happy Holidays all.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2012  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, given that it's been only a few hours, instead of giving them the chance to make it right - or cancelling your order - you immediately registered here to complain about them?

Just so I have my interpretation of the situation correct, you know.

All this over a $1 surcharge....
Pillar of the Community
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2012  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mds308 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at this from a business owners perspective:

1. When I sell you an item with a HUGE discount and then you pull out plastic, it makes me cringe. If I'm only making 8-10 percent on a sale and then I have to surrender 2.5-3.5 percent to a credit card company, this is why I cringe.

2. These coin dealers are working off a very minimal profit margin. Add that same 2.5-3.5 percent and they are breaking even or maybe even losing money.

3. I sell my stuff very cheap so I decided to NOT take credit cards. You can go the the ATM next door and get cash. You won't get a cheaper price elsewhere. In 6 years I've lost 3 sales because I wouldn't take their charge card ( I'd be willing to bet the bank they had no money anyways). I still sold the item and I never lost a minute of sleep. Keeping the overhead to a minimum allows me to keep my customer a big winner (or whiner depending on whose side you're on). I don't do phone orders so I don't need to rely on charge cards.

4. Let's not forget about charge backs. My son/daughter/neighbor/cleaning lady/dog/cat/pool boy/scammer.....used my card and it was unauthorized. Not in my store.

Maple leaves (leafs) carry a premium over spot anyways. You'll make it up when the coins are in your hands.

However, I do see your point. The company should have been upfront about the surcharge before the transaction. The way the auction companies work here (and in many other places) is they tell you there is a discount on the buyers premium if you pay with (good) check or cash. All others pay the full buyers premium (meaning charge card users).
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 10,593Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05