Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

When Hobbies Collide...

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 5,784Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
2367 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice AMC Pacer, Nells250!
Pillar of the Community
United States
524 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2021  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like that one, eh? That one is HO scale... I had a 1:1 scale '74 AMC Javelin but had to sell it. My boyfriend still has two!
Learn More...
United States
104869 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2021  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As I've said here before, I like miniatures!
Fantastic minis!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7447 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Nells
Is your little gem glass? It reminds me of the glass minis either by Fred Wilkerson from melting down actual broken insulators (Hemingray 42), or one made by John and Carol McDougald in the late 70s.

Here is an update window display of mine in my new (almost 2 years now) locale. I wish my camera was more able to make color differences ore discernible and make them glow like they do in the window.

How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9995 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle42 your insulator collection always amazes me.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This post brought back some memories. Back in the 1970's, my brother and I would walk an old railroad line out in the backwoods of northeast Arkansas finding glass insulators where the old poles had been taken down and just left along the embankments over the decades. That rail line had been there since around the 1880's. We managed to accumulate a nice assortment over the years (several large boxes full), but forgot about them as we grew up and moved on. Mom finally got tired of them taking up space in her basement and gave them all away...
Pillar of the Community
United States
7447 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tng - thank you. I am just thankful when I started back into insulators in the 90s that eBay was new and I was able to be one of the first insulator sellers there. It used to be East coast insulators were rare in the West (and vice versa). So I was able to go to shows here in the East and resell to collectors out West who could not get enough of it.

I haven't got a penny into the insulators collection b/c of that (2 more cases not shown).

And...eBay was a lot better place back then. A quarter to list anything, a small percentage of the final price taken by eBay, allowed to contact second and third highest bidders and offer them a duplicate item, and the US post office charged nowhere near what they do now (even adjusting for inflation). I also made a lot of home improvements and travelled b/c of eBay back then .

Good days!
...except it kept me from getting back into coins until much later than I would have gotten back into them otherwise!
But dealing in the insulator hobby has helped me get some coins I wanted so its all good
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19097 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Classic cars, gem faceting and numismatics. For me, they don't clash.
Have been collecting coins for almost all of my life.

Keep posting on the insulators; they are color attractive on the screen, and you know more about them than any of us.
Pillar of the Community
United States
524 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mini Insulator is indeed glass. I don't know much about it other than I saw it on Ebay years ago and NEEDED it!

;-)
Pillar of the Community
United States
7447 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2021  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!

If it says Domnion on it, its a McDOugald piece. Hemingray is either Wilkersons or a friend I have not seen since 2003 and trying to remember their last names...

I am leaning towards the Wilkerons since the McDougalds' pieces were not as intense as yours (I have set of them - but this is not my set in the pics):
https://www.insulators.info/picture...id=447845841

Start here for a neat series of pictures overviewing the making. I was there when the Wilkersons were making them over a number of years at the largest insulator show held annually.
https://www.insulators.info/pictures/?id=72541204

The Wilkersons still make many other types of minis for the show each year.

There are also some minis that are a larger size than yours made originally by two friends (now deceased and embossed with their last names "Wentzell" and "Cobb." Don Wentzel's son, Rich, now sometimes makes some. Below are purples and peach colored ones showing the styles they made. I have at least a hundred different colors of the various styles and colors (24 years of avid collecting)
https://www.insulators.info/pictures/?id=326811620
https://www.insulators.info/pictures/?id=297266397
A group - not mine but I have/enjoy these
https://www.insulators.info/pictures/?id=46821695
Another group of minis was initiated by Steve Blair for the annual show I mentioned in Springfield. Various embossings by a friends Steve and Lois Blair (Steve now is passed):
https://www.insulators.info/pictures/?id=478035469
https://www.insulators.info/pictures/?id=478035148
Steve with minis and signature John Deer zebra striped (!) hat.
https://www.insulators.info/pictures/?id=293916864

When he passed they made a black one of which I definitely got one.

I will post some general pics of actual stuff later as requested.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9321 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I couldn't resist contributing to this thread, as, although I don't really collect insulators and have no glass ones (yet!), I have a handful of ceramic ones that I've picked up on holidays in New Zealand, Cuba, France and Zimbabwe! But a real British railroad insulator has always eluded me, until today. I've walked along quite a few disused railroads in England, but the only insulators I've found have been broken fragments - or still firmly attached to inaccessible telegraph poles!

Last week I went to a lunch and meeting with some fellow tour guides. I decided to go by train as I wanted a drink at lunchtime. The first part of my journey took me along a secondary line that passes through some very remote countryside. At one point the train stopped at a tiny halt that can only accommodate a single coach - any passengers are advised to travel in the front coach for that station. Looking out of the window, I spotted a complete insulator lying in woodland just beyond the platform.

Today I drove there in my car to see of I could reclaim the insulator. I got very dirty as the ground was so muddy! But I found the insulator I'd spotted, and also found a bit of telegraph pole with two pothead type insulators on it.

The insulator I spotted from the train on the left, one of the 'potheads' on the right:

The telegraph pole remnant with the other pothead:

The original insulator I spotted has "Made In England" stamped on it, but I couldn't see any letters identifying the railroad company. The pothead that I've unscrewed and cleaned is dated 1956. I don't know what the potheads were used for or why they were placed there at that date - maybe one of our insulator experts can help!

A brief history of that railroad line -
1851 Opened by the South-Eastern Railway Company (SER)
1899 SER merges with another local company to form the South East & Chatham Railway (SECR)
1923 All railways in SE England merge to form the Southern Railway (SR)
1947 Railways nationalized to form British Railways (BR)
1963 Line proposed for closure
1971 Line proposed again for closure
1979 Line rationalised - signaling simplified, etc

I suspect that the pole line was dismantled in 1979. This line was listed in the infamous 'Beeching Report' as a candidate for closure. Locals protested against this and there was a stay of execution. After a second attempt to close the line was rejected, BR decided to cut costs by removing unnecessary trackwork, closing signal boxes and converting stations to unmanned halfs (although the tiny halt near where I found the insulators has always been unmanned).
Edited by NumisRob
08/03/2021 03:38 am
Learn More...
United States
104869 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7447 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool finds! I believe the one on the left is what is called a Cordeaux style. The pothead is really neat. I have a friend over there who has gotten me several UK insulators with a black bakelite pothead being one of them.

Potheads were used at the terminaton of a line. The wire was connected inside when dropping down to a transformer or underground cable. And I would like to have one of the clear glass ones used in Italy!
Edited by Earle42
08/03/2021 10:20 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9321 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Potheads were used at the terminaton of a line.

That's very interesting. I never expected to find any. I imagine there may have been a signal cabin once near where I found the insulators. I've identified the potheads as made by Buller's.

As this particular railroad line was under threat of closure for many years, British Rail would have only carried out basic maintenance during the 1960s and 1970s, and if an insulator needed replacing they would probably have replaced it with whatever was lying about - and there would have been plenty of spare insulators as the main lines were all adopting modern signaling and the pole lines were being abandoned.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7447 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As with my coins, I really enjoy having as much history as I can with my insulators.

Bullers made the famous, to collectors, red ceramic insulators. If I am not mistaken, the red ones were typically used as an identifier. So, in other words, a special line would be strung on only red Bullers all the way down the pole line.

I do not have individual pictures of the few British pieces I have, but I had to have at least one of each color of the cordeaux styles. Here they are where I display them.

Below is the red Bullers. It's probably my favorite porcelain insulator. These were very pricey at one time. Ten plus years ago when I tried to get one on this side of the pond, I got onto eBay UK and was surprised to see recently sold ones going for about 7 instead of the typical 250!

I emailed my good friend who lives over there and he told me there had recently been a glut on the market so the prices were way down. I think he said a line had been taken down that had a lot of them on it.

He was coming over for an insulator show soon and said he could bring me one for $10.00! I should have got a couple of them just b/c I like them so much. They are back up in price now.

I got a chance to return the favor. I got another red Bullers, but a double groove at a local show. I sent him a picture and he said it was an extremely rare version b/c it was the same diameter and size as the typical single groove in red. The doubles are normally larger.

On the left is the one he brought me from the UK that I still have.

He said the double groove was incredibly rare and I likely would never see another one. What could I say? I told him it belonged in his collection then!

He said he was going to fly over to the next US show close to me to get it! He asked me what I wanted. I asked him if he minded getting on eBay.UK and buying something I had seen there and bring it with him.

What did I want for such a rare insulator?
Remember the British TV series, The Prisoner, starring Patrick McGoohan? The series was filmed in Portmeirion, Wales ("The Village" in the series). Portmeirion's owner (also founder and creator) had a daughter who designed and sold pottery at the Village store in Portmeirion. A very deep cobalt blue coffee set/pattern was being sold at the Village store at the time of the filming. So now I have one...BIN for only $30.00 (which was steal as just one plate I have seen go for this!). Pic does not do it justice!

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 5,784Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05