Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Happens To Gold And Silver Next? Look Out Below?

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 368
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gothic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
3786 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yup7676 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK lets get this updated-

Gold

Longer term context, gold has not looked great at all, its been in a downtrend. Down 4% for the year. Not a pretty chart long term and LOTS of overhead supply.

In a shorter term context, there has been some promise of trying to break higher which is a small positive. The price action in the past few months has improved. In fact, when the market started to roll over in the middle half of September, gold would also get driven lower until it had a change of character in mid November. Instead of diving lower in tandem with equity markets, it started to run higher and even gold miners follow suit.

However, this past week, gold really lost steam. Now one could debate the "why" such as the FOMC meeting but I dont waste my personal time with such trivial things. The only thing that pays me is price and how it acts.

Quite frankly, I take the fact that gold stalled this week with the incoming overall world equity markets move to a downtrend as indecision on the part of the market as to its view on gold. This sort of indecision should not be present in an asset that was ready to run higher and one that has acted better, stronger,expressed by price, in the past few weeks. In my experience, in most cases, when this indecision happens, the possibility of things starting to change again, exists.

The coming days and weeks are going to tell us a lot if gold is going to also join other market related assets such as stocks into the proverbial toilet or is planning on just chopping around, going no where, perhaps just trading sideways.

Silver

Talk about pathetic lol. Stuck in a downtrend in the context of an overall trend, down 14% for the year. Tons of overhead supply that it will have to chew through to get going. Shorter term, there is hardly much to cheer about if you are looking for higher prices. Sideways BEST in a shorter time frame and watch out if the yearly lows are hit, which are not far away. Run along, nothing to see here. Oh wait, shameless plug here, the silver 2018 somalian elephants do look GREAT in silver. Other than that, I'll pass on silver.

Lets talk gold miners. Many of them are stuck in either downtrends, especially the smaller miners. Others are really trying to put in some work to break out higher in a shorter time frame though again, this week, several of those miners took hits and the patterns look iffy at best for higher prices.

Then you have a few select miners that DID make yearly highs, 52 highs, which is very impressive in terms of price action. KL, is one of the best out there, making yearly highs and gets my eye. The market is sending a strong signal by putting it at 52 highs. Another miner that has hit yearly highs recently was AU, though I stay away from equities that are priced under 20 dollars as they really have a lot to prove.

You have the more established miners, several of which, look promising, IF, again, in the coming weeks they continue to build on their progress, so we will have to wait and see what the market decides. Two of the better ones at the moment are ABX and GOLD, which I understand are merging. There are others that look promising, such as RGLD, AEM, FNV and NEM.

The market will reveal its hand in the coming days and weeks as to whether it will view the PM miners, silver and gold as a safe haven or not. Be PATIENT and dont rush out to buy tons of gold and silver because you think it will avoid the current downtrend thats picked up steam in stocks, commodities, bonds and currencies worldwide. Remember, correlations come and go and perhaps the markets will not even want to touch PMs to park their money during this market downturn.

I'll post some commentary as I see fit with the miners; right now my impression of the markets is that they are not interested in any sort of asset except the US dollar and remaining in cash for now.

Again, lets be patient, watch the price action and let the market decide for us what its next move of importance will be.
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2018  05:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gothic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Don't think large progress in any PMs unless Gold:Silver starts to drop consistently.
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2018  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gothic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the other hand a trip to RSI 70 and above the last hurrah for this?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3786 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2018  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yup7676 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it was interesting that the long bond, along with gold, was also trying to work out of its downtrend and then the past 2 days, went back to weakness, despite it finally falling with overall market assets. Hard to get a read into anything as we have a very short week here but again, market will show its hand...

This is a very treacherous time period for financial markets as everything is across the board. At some time point the divergences will show up...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3786 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2018  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yup7676 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Miners looked good today, overall market behavior was similar to last mondays action, where EVERYTHING, including the defensive sectors of the market were even sold off hard but gold miners, gold caught a bid.

One clue we will get of just how strong or weak miners are going forward is whenever we get a counter trend rally in the equity markets, which are due for a bounce, will the miners catch a bid with a rising market rally or will they be sold off. time will tell...
Valued Member
Canada
306 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2018  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dunno but the market in equities does not seem to be a place for the inexperienced and by extension, PMs or other commodities. The political situation and apparent imminent global recession may be playing into these; I think that purely technical analyses are limited as the market appears to be moving to emotion.

Maybe now is a time to move to cash so you are ready to execute when the signals are clearer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3786 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2018  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yup7676 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a few thoughts- miners, for now, especially with the past week trading session, the price action leaves a lot to be desired.

Gold on the other hand, is really putting in work and doing what it should. Gold, its price action, is really a think of beauty. IF it continues this way, new yearly highs are once again are on tap. Silver also really turned things around this week.

Gold and silver look great of this past trading week. Building on this momentum is key and the more it continues, the stronger the trend will become. Both have a LOT of work to put in but with the element time, anything is possible.

The miners, are more of a "meh". Going out at the low of the day as they did on Friday is not sexy. However, one must keep in mind that volatility is common in mining stocks so lets once again, let the element of time allow the gold miners to show their hand. In fact, it almost seems like, looking at price action, when they look at death, when they look the ugliest, in this current market, is when they should be bought.

As most of you know, I prefer to look at the trend, and buying higher to sell higher, however, there are some exceptions to this rule. Again, allow the market to show its hand because it WILL, via price action.

Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2019  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add everything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tend to surmise we may not know true price of gold because to many central banks are stacking it by the ton at this time in history. It would seem they know or suspect that a more inflationary period may be in our futures. And, coin/bar demand was up for several years as well before relaxing again as serfs become more complacent again, or chasing better returns elsewhere. I think au/ag prices will remain much as they are now for years. Meanwhile the world's larger economies have nowhere to go but up and the fuel is debt and consumption, as well as growing middle classes of super savers in i.e. China, who are all going to want a piece of the pie.
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2019  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edthelorax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I tend to surmise we may not know true price of gold because to many central banks are stacking it by the ton at this time in history. It would seem they know or suspect that a more inflationary period may be in our futures. And, coin/bar demand was up for several years as well before relaxing again as serfs become more complacent again, or chasing better returns elsewhere. I think au/ag prices will remain much as they are now for years. Meanwhile the world's larger economies have nowhere to go but up and the fuel is debt and consumption, as well as growing middle classes of super savers in i.e. China, who are all going to want a piece of the pie.

We will never know as long as the physical is based upon the price a paper contract trades for on the Crimex exchange.
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2019  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add everything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes but those paper contracts determine price. And,futures/ETF are the way to make $ on metals, most big investors would agree. Buy/sell spreads are eliminated.
https://etfdb.com/etfs/commodity/gold/

The best many of us physical investors can do is make safe some of our sweat/blood into an inflationary proof tangible that comes in a small package.
Valued Member
Canada
51 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sbr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gold seems to be slowly climbing and BNN on CTV on friday had a good analysis on it on "Weekly with Andrew MCreath" .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3701 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What did they predict?
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gothic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"gold seems to be slowly climbing..."

Usually a real bull market will feature a big zoom up in PM miners. See late November 2008 when GDX climbed 25% in a week. No such signals, YET.

Valued Member
Canada
51 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sbr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gothic you are right that the miners in general are not moving up that strongly .I own zjg which is a junior gold miner etf and in the last month it is only up about 4.5 %. The other miners are treading water except for Kirkland lake which I own is up about 50% in the last couple of months .This morning gold looks like it will open down 10$ ,I am still planning on increasing my gold miners as I hold most of my investments in a broad range of companies.I am using todays down turn to pick up PVG.TO as I don't need any more NVDA.I just don't like this giant debt binge the world seems to be on.
Page: of 368 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05