Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dryer Coins Explained with Image Gallery, Many Pictured, Some Extreme  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
5321 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2013  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You all are welcome, and glad to be of help

I have been wanting to do this for awhile and finally found one of the bunches of these so pics were possible.
@sel

Quote:
If you can get dryer coins, it follows that you can get coined dryers.
Must be an accepted risk in their operation, and repair bills to be paid for, the repair bill costs added to the cost of using the dryer.

Good theory, but I do not ever remember my Grandfather telling me we were going to take apart a machine to get out the coins from between the tubs. This was back in the 60s and 70s when things were made well though.

The front loading washers were Westinghouse Streamliner RL-1s:

These had thicker, heavy inner and outer tubs as did the dryers. The dryers were the large, tall ones with very large tubs - still found along a wall in modern laundromats.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1195 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2013  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add argentum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very cool, Earl!
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3311 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2013  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you can get dryer coins, it follows that you can get coined dryers.

So do coined dryers carry a premium?

Awesome post Earle42 - bookmarked for future reference!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1109 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2013  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add skyshark124 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This kind of makes me want to take a handful of coin change and keep running it through a dryer for six months.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5321 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2013  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@skyshark
Remember commercial machines are running many, many more times a day than the average machine. Also, unless you just decided to leave no clothes in there with them, you likely would get nothing but very dry clothes and clothes-polished coins.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2013  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
933 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2013  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pennysaver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating photos! Excellent thread -- thanks for starting it up!
Pillar of the Community
United States
814 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2013  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoldenChest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Simply amazing. Thanks alot Earle42!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1428 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2013  01:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another great post Earle !
Pillar of the Community
United Arab Emirates
557 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2013  03:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BLadd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle42, very informative. Thank you.
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2013  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jlafever to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for teaching Earle. That's one of the nobler aspects of our hobby. In 1974, Mr Kearns had a gas station (full service & garage of course) with a small coin shop in the back. Looking back, I remember how he was a natural at teaching us kids about coins. Making proofs, double dies, explaining bag marks, etc. Hats off to you Bill Kearns in that big Coin Shop in the sky.

Anyway, I found my first dryer coin. A1946 LWC. It's not too severe but has the flaring/ mushrooming. After explaining how the coin came to be deformed so, my wife & some friends THINK ME A GOD! Well maybe not but they were impressed. Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
5321 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2013  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Jlafever..

I am so humbled to have had some small part in your achieving deity status - a very big honor indeed .

Seriously - I got a good chuckle out of that part of your post

I truly am honored this thread can be used by others. The CCF family has given me so much, I like to feel like I can give something back.

Funny thing about all this that I just thought of... I never have found a dryer coin in circulation!

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3267 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2013  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earl42,
you are now officially the dryer coin guru!
(at least in my book)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1755 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2013  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadToTheBone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You so much...Now I know exactly what a dryer coin is and how it got that way. Wow, very interesting.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05