Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dryer Coins Explained with Image Gallery, Many Pictured, Some Extreme

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
1169 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  02:22 am  Show Profile   Check ilikeikes's eBay Listings Check ilikeikes's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add ilikeikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this 25c is a "Dryer" coin...I've had it for 3 years, and never knew what it was! Always thought it was a forgery..a bAD one at that....Great thread
Calvin G.

Redwood Empire Coin Club#788
ANA#3144406

Formerly nancyc
Australia
4862 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  02:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great info Earle! I'm going to keep a link to your thread, that way when someone posts a dryer coin with their hyped up explanation of it being on a 'thick' planchet, I'll just post the link.

BTW, I love your signature, pity not many seem to read it or understand it.
Quote:
They're over there with their car.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14511 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  02:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good educational first post and discussion.
It should help those who were curios to understand why some oddball coins present themselves as they do.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7217 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ilikeikes...that quarter looks like it was soaked in acid.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, some of these are insanely thick! Pretty neat!

This is my most dramatic example, found in a coinstar reject tray a month or so ago.. 198X shown next to the nice 1947 wheatie I got back in change the same day (actually got two but this one was in relatively nice condition the other was average circulated)

Pillar of the Community
United States
1169 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Check ilikeikes's eBay Listings Check ilikeikes's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add ilikeikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so was I...in the 60's..........
Redwood Empire Coin Club#788
ANA#3144406

Pillar of the Community
Canada
5417 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zxcccxz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting, always wondered how a dryer could do this to a metal coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
so was I...in the 60's..........

Learn More...
United States
23519 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very interesting, always wondered how a dryer could do this to a metal coin.

Coins are relatively soft metal in the grand scheme of things, aside nickel. And dryers are steel, which is not so soft. Dryer wins, every time. A dryer coin is rather like being nibbled to death by ducks - it takes a long time but it's inevitable.
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iontyre to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nathan,

Would you PLEASE put that nice 1947 wheatie in a 2x2 and STOP handling it!! You are me out!
Edited by iontyre
04/26/2014 1:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nathan,
Would you PLEASE put that nice 1947 wheatie in a 2x2 and STOP handling it!! You are me out!

ummm.... Quite frankly... No.... Lol... This is not 2x2 worthy to me. For an AU, possibly (but very doubtful) low MS late date wheat? Why? I'm sure it'll be just fine being it was pulled from circulation (at a small engine shop none the less, and was handed to me by grease covered hands) and has had more than it's share of grubby fingers all over it... I hardly think picking it up by the rims and resting it on my finger is going to effect it in anyway that will make a noticeable difference.

Not to mention this will be quite literally tossed into my assorted "wheat bucket" with thousands of it's peers, that I randomly give young/new numismatist's and friends children who express any interest in coins. If I find a coin in circulation and it can't upgrade one of my sets it gets put in one of three buckets (wheat, copper, silver). And I rarely wear gloves when working with my coins, unless it's somewhat valuable or a proof... I know which are "glove worthy", to me at least, and how to handle them... lol... And this isn't. Sorry... Again... lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
5591 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2014  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NathanASE
It also looks like your dryer coin had other "work" done on it the way its bent up.

@ilikeikes
Nitric acid will do this wihtin minutes. I used to do it with (common!) coins to show students an acid eating metal.

@Neval
Being a teacher is in the blood - just like numismatics - glad some people get it
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
04/27/2014 4:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2014  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It also looks like your dryer coin had other "work" done on it the way its bent up.

I was wondering about that... I meant to ask but forgot, but that was the reason I posted the side view. Lol, so thank you for clearing that up
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2014  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an informative thread! How did I miss this when it came out?
The quarters "washed" down to dime-size are amazing!
Edited by DVCollector
04/28/2014 12:04 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1599 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2014  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jprine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great post Earle. I could never understand how someone could leave a coin in the regular tub to that much damage.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05