Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dryer Coins Explained With Image Gallery, Many Pictured, Some Extreme

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 82 / Views: 46,563Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one that was found in a dryer by a friend at a laundromat. I'm sure it wasn't in the dryer for all those years and why anybody would carry a dime this old in their pocket in the first place is beyond me, but it's now part of my collection.

I never met a man I didn't like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didn't like - DeputyMax
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46254 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Added these images to my educational files. Thanks Earle42

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
6590 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  01:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad they can be used. Now that they are in your files more people will likely be seeing them them

BTW - I the icon you designed for crediting me in the pics! I remember once seeing an old post somewhere showing all of them for the different members.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17310 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Explains why so few dryer coins are found in Australia.
Australia has very few corporate, common use, public laundromats.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6590 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sel:
Plus most people likely don't rip apart their own dryers when they quit working. Also, outer tubs in consumer dryers nowadays, I think, are plastic as opposed to when everything was metal. Hence the coins rim would not readily be disfigured as when a coin hit inside on a metal tub.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Prosp long and liver.
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL that is quite an extensive collection Earle42. I get a chuckle out of badly damaged coins. These... LOL
Pillar of the Community
United States
6590 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These al used to sit in a jar on my grandfather's workbench. When he was fixing his machines and found one, into the jar it went. I am glad he saved them all as they remind me of him.
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1734 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add koinpro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice post! I've been arguing with folks for nearly 20 years that these are NOT the result of somebody starting to make a ring and not finishing it. A friend of mine that owned a commercial laundry told me where they came from many years ago. Another cause that is similar but not exactly the same that was reported to me came from the late great Lonesome John Devine who told me of finding something similar in a washing machine water pump he was repairing plus they get stuck under the agitator of some top loading home washing machines and really get scraped up but not the same effect as shown here.
Edited by koinpro
01/10/2020 3:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1734 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add koinpro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle42
What are the chanced of me being able to use those images in an article?
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20768 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
under the agitator of some top loading home washing machines and really get scraped up but not the same effect as shown here.

I have first hand experience with this. Pulled it out of my own washer. It wasn't easy, had to really yank on it with pliers. Made a racket through the entire house too.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1734 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add koinpro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good one Bobby! That's along the lines of what I saw come from under an agitator. :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
6590 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Earle42
What are the chanced of me being able to use those images in an article?

Go ahead and use anything of mine you want. I do not know if you want provenance for them or not, but they all came from the Corbett Laundromats - one in Fairview, PA, and two in Erie, PA spanning the years from the late 1950s to the late 1980s.

If you do write the article, I would appreciate seeing it when done.
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
684 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yesterday a friend let me search his saved-up change he kept in a glass fish dish, a big pile of change. I lined/covered a baking sheet with a canvas bank bag & dumped the change onto it, spread it out & spotted this right away:

a nice 1999 washington dryer quarter/new jersey

there are a couple places around the coin where there is still just a faint hint of reeding lingering on a lighted edge.. but it is smooth all the way around.

it is just slightly smaller in diameter than a normal quarter and the new rim is just a tad taller on the reverse than the obverse, I can easily feel the difference. if you look carefully at the rim shadows in the obv & rev pix you can see it.

pretty cool, my first dryer coin find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1026 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The wiped out reeding is amazing!
Learn More...
United States
90260 Posts
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 82 / Views: 46,563Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05