Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dryer Coins Explained With Image Gallery, Many Pictured, Some Extreme

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 85 / Views: 52,470Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
6986 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice - congrats!
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Karen H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! I am amazed. In my FB groups seems everything is a dryer coin when people don't have a good answer. To the point that I just asked, "if it's a dryer coin then why is the edge so squared and the design still so well formed?". Hit err-ref which linked me here and I find out that it is really all about the edge being squared off. Cray cray for sure. I shall bookmark this thread and throw it at one of those FB 'experts' some day. Thanks so much for the schooling @Earle42.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21118 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's amazing how the Facebook experts shift fields of study so quickly isn't it? They can go from a coin expert, to a constitutional lawyer, to an infectious disease expert in minutes!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1758 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow! I am amazed. In my FB groups seems everything is a dryer coin when people don't have a good answer. To the point that I just asked, "if it's a dryer coin then why is the edge so squared and the design still so well formed?". Hit err-ref which linked me here and I find out that it is really all about the edge being squared off. Cray cray for sure. I shall bookmark this thread and throw it at one of those FB 'experts' some day. Thanks so much for the schooling @Earle42.

A lot of the things called "dryer coins' are no such thing. There are various ways a coin can be damaged when caught up in machinery but every coin without rims is not an accident. People play with coins and they do things like remove rims or file one side down. They bend them, fold them, and otherwise mutilate them. And then there are guys like me who used to be able to procure "bad coin" that had been abused in machinery or other means and "repaired" them so they could be used again. In the old days there were lots of heavily damaged and corroded coins in circulation and even more that accumulated in buckets and bags because they wouldn't even go through counting machines.

Most dryer coins still work in vending machines and probably won't jam a coin counter.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1758 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Most dryer coins still work in vending machines and probably won't jam a coin counter.

Of course this doesn't apply to the ones with the edges hammered down. Some coins with hammered edges got that way by someone hammering the edges intentionally, of course.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4735 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great educational thread. Quite a good idea considering we get multiple questions a month, sometimes a week, about these thinking they are errors. It is Well written and very informational.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Pillar of the Community
United States
6986 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So happy this is still helping after 6 years
This forum has taught me so much and I am thankful for being able to make a contribution people can still use.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

Pillar of the Community
United States
596 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Old-Fashioned Non-machine dryer coins?

If I were to run a metal detector close to where a clothes line used to be, and I find coins which may have fallen out of clothing that had once been hung up to dry, would these dug-up coins also be considered dryer coins?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6986 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on if its raining when you dig them up.

Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have first hand experience with this. Pulled it out of my own washer. It wasn't easy, had to really yank on it with pliers. Made a racket through the entire house too.

bobby131313, you just solved a mystery for me.

i noticed this thread got a bump, so I read all the recent posts, plus I worked back, looking at all the pix.

the bobby131313 quote above was posted with a pic of a badly damaged coin from january 10 last year. interestingly, I posted a dryer quarter january 28 last year, and despite my having read that entire thread this somehow did not click until today.

seeing those pix jogged my memory; I had a coin that looked like that & I couldn't understand the damage, but I never posted it here:

i found (what's left of) this quarter on a window ledge outside a laundromat in august last year. I didn't understand the damage & I didn't put together that I had scored a machine-damaged coin, despite finding it where I did. the markings on the reverse look very much like the markings on the coin bobby131313 posted along with the above quote. I'm not sure if I still have the quarter; I might... but I'm glad I grabbed pix of it. now I understand what I found. dunno why I didn't notice it sooner.

i think I determined the quarter was a south carolina Statehood Quarter by the very few remaining clues on the reverse.
Edited by MrPink2018
01/12/2021 1:35 pm
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 85 / Views: 52,470Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05