Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gettysburg Commemorative

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,392Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2013  03:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I just picked up this unslabbed Gettysburg commemorative at a local auction in Ky.

I took the following sets of photos using my USB camera via the following manner:

A) axial, coin level lighting used to accentuate the minor dings:

The small mark on the left shield positioned to the left of the middle crossed lines of the vertical bar is a piece of lint that I noticed afterwards.

&

B) overhead CFL bulb lighting shining into the interior of a cut-out section of a rounded white plastic bucket to reduce the glare:

The actual weight of this reeded edge coin is 12.53 grams and its diameter is 30.56 mm.

Please opine on the grade, authenticity, and current retail value.

Thanks in advance.,
mdpmedia

Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2013  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also how does one tell if a coin like this is actually a 'matte proof'?

mdpmedia
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6883 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2013  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with your PM mdpmedia ... your lovely coin would get a lot more attention in a separate thread. You could ask the Mod Dudes to break it off for you ....

My views .... this is an authentic 1936 Battle of Gettysburg half dollar in MS condition.

How MS? .... the two obverse bag hits in major focal areas (union soldier upper jaw and confederate soldier hat brim) hold it back IMHO ... I'm going MS63.

Current Greysheet 'Ask' in MS63 is $440.

David

p.s. Using the latest version of IE (whatever that is) and do not have the technical issues you mentioned in your PM.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5068 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2013  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beatiful coin.

The second set of images do the coin more justice than the first set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
719 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2013  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice coin, love the design. tough to image MS coins to get them to appear as in hand.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2013  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pickup. Comparing next to certified examples I do not see anything that jumps out as "off".
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2013  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mailman28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63 as well and a great coin..definately one of my favorite comemms
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,392Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05