Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Vending Machine Finds

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 64 / Views: 12,242Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
Canada
298 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2013  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadianCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figured this out in high school when I accidentally put a nice looking breast cancer quarter I was saving in the machine and got a normal one back. I did eventually get it to give back my breast cancer one though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2013  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1967Canadapenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol, today I did some vending machine roll hunting, I put a nickel in the machine then hit the change button again, I did this maybe 30 times, and I was getting bored so I wasn't really looking intently at the coins that came out of the machine. So I put a coin that I had briefly looked over it and but it into the machine again, and clunk... it fell into the change slot again, I looked at it again, and I was flabbergasted to see a large p mintmark over Monticello I'm quite happy It turned out to be a 1944p
Edited by 1967Canadapenny
03/29/2013 8:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2805 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2013  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nalaberong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today I turned $1.50 into a Quebec quarter and five 1999/2000 issues. I'm still waiting to get my silver out of one of these things :U

And I have finally found a couple of diabolical machines that do not return coins or make change until you've purchased something! Usually they'll be newer - be cautious of anything with a bill slot or a credit card reader. Most are safe, but some are not, so always start with a couple of nickels you won't miss.
Edited by nalaberong
03/29/2013 9:09 pm
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2013  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilhelm von Osterreich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i go to a high school with a lot of vending machines, cant wait to find a silve quarter,gonna have to do it a thousand times though,MUAHAHAHAHA!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2541 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2013  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gothic Florin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's also a good way to get change when you need to put $5 in quarters into the parking meter at the beach - find a vending machine and feed dollar bills into it. Most of the merchants by the beach won't give out change, and I usually forget to bring enough with me.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2017  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2DollarCirculator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to resurrect an old thread, but this seems to be the official "vending machine finds" thread, and I have quite a fun story to share.

On my way back from the discount Amish grocery store today, I was driving through a small and sleepy farm town that I have driven through a hundred times before. Something caught my eye, a circa 1980s RC Cola Vending Machine in front of a laundromat. The thought crossed my mind that if this machine still works I might be able to find some pretty cool coins. With a pocket full of change I approached the machine and was excited to see that it was still operating (although it was filled with coke products). I inserted some quarters and pulled on the coin return lever, and the machine ate my coins! I disappointingly bought a root beer, and proceeded back to my car.

As I was starting to drive out of the town a much newer Pepsi machine in front of a auto shop caught my eye. I had an itch to coin hunt, and I decided to pull over once more and give this new machine a try. I started by entering quarters and on my first few tries I received some pretty heavily circulated State Quarters and a couple of worn down Washington quarters. Then I got lucky, and got a nice AU Bicentennial Quarter! A few more tries later I got yet another Bicentennial, followed by yet another (very worn) Bicentennial.

After exchanging a decent number of quarters, I decided to try my luck with some nickels. On my very first try I struck silver! A 1945-P nickel! After quite a few heavily worn clad pieces, I was shocked to also get a 1943-P nickel. I am still trying to process my amazement and excitement at getting two silver coins from a Pepsi machine, when I CRH I rarely ever find silver nickels, and in the span of 15 minutes I found two. I doubt I will ever get this lucky again.

I just wanted to share my finds and resurrect this thread in case anyone else would like to share their finds. I am now hooked, and want to get back out to try some more machines ASAP, though I doubt I will have the same luck again.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2017  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hhb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent...I have never thought about doing this, but the next time I see a vending machine I'll have to give it a try...I got an entire roll of %40 Kennedys at the bank today so now is the time to try I guess.
Learn More...
United States
94566 Posts
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2017  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2DollarCirculator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried a Pepsi machine at the grocery store today and got some high grade America the Beautiful Quarters, but no silver this go around.

I will be going on a trip to Iowa on Tuesday, and hope to hit some vending machines along the way. :)
Learn More...
United States
94566 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2017  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I tried a Pepsi machine at the grocery store today and got some high grade America the Beautiful Quarters, but no silver this go around.
At least you found something worth mentioning.

Good luck on your trip.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6030 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2017  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't see this thread the first time around.

I have done this a few times in a few places, but more often than not the machine will "eat" a quarter or two when I hit the return button, evaporating any incentive to continue pressing on. I did find a few UNC ATB and territory quarters, though.

More recently, I actually used a vending machine to transfer a whole bag of nickels into quarters; some older machines "forget" how you paid, meaning if you feed in 20 nickels and hit return, you get 4 quarters until there are no more quarters left. 4 trips a day at work, and I was able to refill my flat tire/emergency quarter stash in my glove box! My main machine ran out, so I moved over to the next one, and that a put out 20 BU 2017 nickels for me.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2017  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBackPenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only interesting things I have gotten from a vending machine were some BU 2017 quarters.
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2017  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollectionMaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was just on vacation, and saw many vending machines. I found a 2015-P Kisatchie ATB Quarter and 2017-P Nickel, both hole fillers, and a 2009-P Guam Statehood Quarter. However, I ended up losing about $2 to other vending machines because they had faulty return buttons.
Learn More...
United States
94566 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2017  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was just on vacation, and saw many vending machines. I found a 2015-P Kisatchie ATB Quarter and 2017-P Nickel, both hole fillers, and a 2009-P Guam Statehood Quarter.
Excellent!

Quote:
However, I ended up losing about $2 to other vending machines because they had faulty return buttons.
Ouch.
Pillar of the Community
United States
735 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2017  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pancake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a Pepsi Machine at Regions Banks a founds 1944P Silver War Nickels and 1954D Old Jefferson nickels.

HAPPY HUNTING!
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 64 / Views: 12,242Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05