Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Roll Hunting

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,350 / Views: 183,082Next Topic
Page: of 90
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2805 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2013  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nalaberong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found 10 eurocents on the ground today (France, 2011), inside a building. I'd guess AU-55. First euro coin I own with the new map style. I wonder how it got to Canada in such great condition?

I also found a silver Irish shilling in a 20-cent world coin bin but that's neither here nor there :D
Valued Member
118 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2013  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tofuburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My last search finds were a 1955 Wheat cent, 3 George VI, 3 HMS 2 dollar coins, a mis struck 2000 $2,
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2805 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2013  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nalaberong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing find at the bank! I returned a box of dimes (nothing interesting except an overstuffed roll, so I made 50 cents) and the teller pulled out a Warman Canadian cent folder for me. Apparently it was a Secret Santa present she never used. I've been having lots of fun filling it in from my giant penny jar :D
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3683 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2013  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i have almost finished 3 boxs of dimes, I got 3-68 ,1-67, one 1941, and me first ever us dimes, a 1951, and a 56, so 7 dimes out of 3 boxs,
Valued Member
Canada
158 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2013  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add masterofsecrets to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been through about a dozen boxes of laundry tokens (err I mean quarters) in the past month. So far I've pulled out 8 silver quarters, $110 worth of US quarters (need to repatriate those..), 122 RCMP 100th anniversary (1973), various 25 cents from Bermuda, Cayman Islands, and Bahamas, and a few 10 pence peices. Also 2 rolls with pubic hair (gross!!) and one that had jam or some other mystery sticky substance inside.
My best box was rolled by 4GS (2 silvers) and worst 2 boxes were also from 4GS, completely void of anything interesting. I thought they were supposed to participate in the alloy recovery program so I was really surprised at silver and quantity of US quarters in the first box.
I also lucked out in finding a branch that is near a university so they constantly need more tokens for laundry and are happy when I come in to dump my sorted boxes. Another great place to dump coin you're done with is the new CoinStar machines that the TD Canada Trusts are putting in nearly all their banks, free for customers!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
831 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2013  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After checking out this forum for a month I decided last week to buy $500 in quarters (a box). My adult son and I collect Canadian coins (pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters) but have not updated our collections in at least ten years.
We were simply looking for stuff we did not have. In those 2,000 quarters we only found one silver one but it was one my son and I both needed. [He got it since he found it].
We did find many quarters from the late 90's and forward that we needed so it was fun and worthwhile. I am sure we will do it again but there are not many post-silver quarters that we still need so I expect the pickings to be slimmer next time.
Edited by punman
04/11/2013 11:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2013  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did a box of nickels yesterday. Maybe about 30 from the 60s .....1947ml. 1940 and 1939.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2013  05:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Box of pennies....a few 50s and 40s. That was my last box too.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2805 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2013  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nalaberong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Went from store to store asking for penny rolls today. Found two. Oldest was 1958, along with three LMCs.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2805 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2013  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nalaberong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had 5 quarter rolls and wanted to get 5 new quarter rolls, a two-step process involving a bit of a walk. At one bank, I got two loonie rolls for my five quarter rolls, and at the next bank I would do the reverse. But I had to search the loonie rolls first, and bam - 2012 old-style in the very first roll! I can't believe I found one of those in the very first loonie roll I've ever searched.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2805 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2013  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nalaberong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another nickel box, finally found something worthwhile - 1949, my first KGVI find in a nickel roll. Of course, one of my family members beat me last year by bringing home a 1940 in their change, grr. I also pulled 6+ rolls of nickel nickels which are going towards my big huge eBay lot, just one 1967 nickel (I keep these separately because I like the rabbit) and 15-odd 2005 commemoratives. There was also about half a roll of American, but nothing spectacular, the oldest being a couple 1964s.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
519 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2013  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add o-train to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got 40 rolls of pennies from the bank today. 79 american cents 1982 and prior including a 1944 Wheat penny. Best find by far was a 1934 George V penny. Probably about a VF-20. Also found a 1940, 1943, 1952 and 7 1967's among others. Foreign coins included a 2 pfennig, British one penny and a 1 cent coin from South Africa.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
519 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2013  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add o-train to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Went through 14 rolls of nickels. Found 31 1981 and before including a 1960 and 1962.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
519 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2013  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add o-train to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up 25 rolls of nickels today. Also went through the pennies again and picked out a 1972 with what looks like a double clipped planchet and a couple more 1967's.

Had some good luck with the nickels. Nine of the rolls were paper machine wrapped rolls which I knew would hold nothing so I really only had 16 rolls to work with. Nine of these remaining rolls had to have been rolled up in 2000/2001 because in all 9 rolls I only found 1 2001 and a few 2000's, everything else was older. In total the 16 rolls resulted in 129 1981 and earlier which is just over a 20% yield of pure nickel!. Ten of them were young Elizabeth and the two oldest were 1962 and 1959.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2805 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2013  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nalaberong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are my penny finds! They were being saved by one of my family members to play some arcane card game. I only took these, the rest are free to be used as chips or whatever for the rest of time.

Okay, first I found this lovely 1991 woodie. Both sides have a nice grain to them. I don't collect these, so I'll entertain offers on this one.

Then I found this 1979 (looks pretty red). I found a redder one a few weeks back, but I'm always game for a shiny penny.

Here's a weird counterstamp, the first stamped coin I've ever seen in circulation:

These two dates now have a place of honour in my Warman small cent folder:

Finally, this impaired proof wasn't exactly found in circulation, but it jumped its capsule in an MS/Proof bin and soon settled to the bottom, desperately trying to get as scratched-up as possible in a futile effort to be more like its circulated friends. Since it's not a silver proof and it's not perfect anymore, I got it for 1 cent.
Edited by nalaberong
05/12/2013 12:35 pm
Page: of 90 Previous TopicReplies: 1,350 / Views: 183,082Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: