Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Roll Hunting

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,292 / Views: 168,613Next Topic
Page: of 87
Valued Member
Canada
254 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shoeplier to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From my experience I find Nickels to be the most rewarding, just by generally having the highest amount of pre-2000s coins. You can more easily get young head Elizabeths and 12-sided nickels which are always fun to find. Next I would say dimes for the silver - it doesn't happen often but it's more likely than quarters. I used to like searching quarters but the last couple years have only been good for modern commemoratives. Same goes for loonies and toonies - they're only worth searching for filling holes in circulated sets.

For example my last 10 rolls of nickels was 13% pre-2000s, vs. quarters at just 4%. And I had an unusually good 10 rolls of dimes which was nearly 42% pre-2000s, also which had two silver coins: a 1964 and 1968.
Canada
48 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JBU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I might have to agree with you. I've gone through a few boxes of quarters lately and its been sad. Few years ago I did a handful of boxes of nickels and it was fun for a while...but certainly not like it used to be years earlier.
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moosieweed88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know how to get canadian coin rolls in the states?
Canada
19 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Trvm02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got two questions for you guys one what are the key dates a person should be looking for when hunting nickels and two what coins do you guys keep when hunting
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2020  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moosieweed88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can I find Canadian rolls of coin? I'm from Ohio need some help here
Pillar of the Community
Canada
553 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did my first CRH since February or March. I happened to be at the bank for something and decided to pick up five rolls each of nickels, loonies and toonies. Those three denominations I am still looking for 2020 coins.

It turns out that two of the nickel rolls were completely filled with coins from 1960-1999, which was a nice score! Nickels, dimes and quarters pre-2000 are getting scarcer and scarcer in rolls and change.

The loonie rolls didn't have much other than a couple of commem's in decent shape. The toonie rolls had a non-coloured Armistice and a non-coloured Bill Reid.

All three denominations had a decent amount of 2019's. I think I'll wait another 4-6 months and look again. Should be some 2020's by then.
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It turns out that two of the nickel rolls were completely filled with coins from 1960-1999, which was a nice score!
Excellent!

Quote:
I think I'll wait another 4-6 months and look again. Should be some 2020's by then.
Learn More...
Canada
9554 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2020  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If searching BU rolls count here, then this is something I just found in an original paper-wrapped roll: http://goccf.com/t/388798
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
553 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2020  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up 10 rolls of nickels, 8 rolls of quarters and 6 rolls of toonies.

Nickels: A couple of the rolls were almost completely pre-2000. The oldest was 1963. I found a few 2020 nickels. Found a handful of US nickels and a 20 centimes from Switzerland.

Quarters: I only found 8 (avg one per roll) of pre-2000 coins. The big excitement was finding a coloured 2017 quarter! This was the first I had found in probably about 200 rolls since 2017.

Toonies: There was a uncoloured Bill Reid and an uncoloured D-Day. Found a couple 2020 toonies. Also found 6 counterfeit toonies that I posted here: http://goccf.com/t/377839&whichpage=3#3333024

So with the year just about done, I now have all the 2020 circulating Canadian coins.
Valued Member
Canada
181 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2021  04:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darcyrmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Snagged myself a couple of penny boxes - first one was about 75% copper pre-1997s (mostly 70's and 80's), the rest mixed between zinc and steel. Just started the second box, again mostly 70's and 80's then found a head that shouldn't have been crowned, then jumped out of my seat when I turned it over..

Learn More...
Canada
9554 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent!, Love finding NFLD coins in the wild!
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
181 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darcyrmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it may have been cleaned at some time, though? All of the high points have that bright red shine to it, but all the low parts are that darker colour..
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
Canada
32 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tusker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bug bit me again and while I was at the bank for some legitimate business I asked for a bundle of quarters. They were customer rolled so I had high hopes. I had 2 bank stops so I asked for another 10 at my second bank.

The first bundle had exactly 39 quarters per roll. So my hunt cost $2.50 plus my time. To boot, they smelled like old cigarettes. Less than 10 coins pre-1980. A couple of mounties (small bust).

The second were machine wrapped and labelled London Gold Buyer, subtitled Coin Canada Ltd. According to their site they sell counting and rolling services to high-volume coin users like transit authorities, parking companies, and charities. I would imagine their machines would be sophisticated enough to spit out the silver so I haven't even cracked them yet. I like the business idea, though, and wonder if the market is big enough for competiton?

All that to say, with a hit rate of about 1 in 10000, I think this is my coin roll hunting retirement announcement.
Canada
32 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tusker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You can more easily get young head Elizabeths

Not that she's a big lady, but, when I am sorting, I call them Thin Lizzies.
Edited by tusker
02/23/2021 3:37 pm
Page: of 87 Previous TopicReplies: 1,292 / Views: 168,613Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 5.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05