Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tip Jar... What Would You Do?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 92 / Views: 7,420Next Topic
Page: of 7
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2013  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, if no one was looking id leave a roosie dime and take the coin. or Maybe a quarter depending on what I had. It's not stealing. If the person was there I would say thats a cool looking coin. Then I'd ask for a even exchange. Unless the person knew what it was worth, then i'd offer up to 1.50 or half of what it was probably worth. Business is business. Every business buys low and sells something higher. Granted coin collecting is a fun hobby. We live in a capitalist world.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2013  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You really shouldnt be digging through tip jars if for no other reason then they may or may not believe you if they see you and could potentially call the cops or worse.

But like smoke mentioned there is a lot of grandstanding and moral high horses that occur with moral questions. If thats the worse thing youve ever done youve lived a pretty decent life amd mot one of us can say weve never done anything wrong.
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2013  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eh, if you're caught on camera making an even exchange, no foul. Whatcha gonna do
Pillar of the Community
United States
561 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2013  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Merc Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
eh, if you're caught on camera making an even exchange, no foul. Whatcha gonna do

So if I take the shirt I just bought at Kohl's back and just lay it on the rack and walk out with a different shirt of the same price you don't they are going to have an issue with that?
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2013  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The even exchange may prevent you from being prosecuted after going over the tape if youre lucky enough for the tap to clearly show thats all that was in your hand (they dont have vegas type cameras), but they certainly arent going to be happy about it
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3566 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2013  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Merc man, again, totally apples and oranges. Now you are trying to compare swapping merchandise out. A totally different thing. NOT valid.
Pillar of the Community
United States
561 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2013  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Merc Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry smokeriderdon, you are correct. In my example it was an even exchange of property that I owned and property that I didn't own. In the OP it was an unequal exchange of property that the OP didn't own and property that he did own. Either way it was morally questionable at best in my not so humble opinion. Lack of knowledge or care of an items value does not change its value and when there is no meeting of the minds on the exchange it can not be viewed as a "fair" trade. Had the clerk been offered an even exchange and accepted then you are in the clear as the owner of the Mercury dime was given the opportunity to accept the offer.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. There was no real harm done and it isn't likely that anyone knows or would care. I just don't think you can really justify anything that was done as being the right way to handle the situation. To each their own, I know I have enough of my own problems to worry about than to spend too much time debating this.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2521 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2013  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would tip them. My tip would be to tell them what the coin is worth, and then try to buy it. Of course, the value I tell them would be the price at which I would buy.

win-win.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7696 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2013  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What if the waitress was totally hyped about the merc in her tip jar and turns around to see that someone's taken it ?
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
648 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2013  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xZACKx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't believe you all are still discussing this.
It's such a useless thread.
Move on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
561 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2013  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Merc Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't believe you felt the need to continue reading such a useless thread and then posting on it. LOL
Pillar of the Community
United States
7696 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2013  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah Zack, quit clicking on the thread lol
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
648 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2013  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xZACKx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I read it because I find it funny how you all can dwell on this for so long.
Pillar of the Community
United States
561 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2013  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Merc Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We are here to entertain. Cheaper than going to a movie!
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2013  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's a good debate. Anyone in business knows that people debate everything. For example, I put a return policy on my Craigslist coins I sell and other merchandise so people don't just show up and want their money back. Not the same thing here but we're trying to figure out the best way to avoid getting in trouble for getting this Mercury dime. Everyone's thoughts are different and matter.
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 92 / Views: 7,420Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05