Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Picture the Ancient Coin Collector

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19
Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2015  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ThisIsFun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob L-- fantastic! Thanks for the reveal. Your artistic vision is inspiring, as is the execution.
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2015  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
never been comfortable with that idea

Share that feeling.

But with your talent you could produce a self-portrait called "My Parthian Self" or similar.

Very nice paintings or better artworks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3964 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2015  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.
Learn More...
United States
16270 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2015  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Bob!
johnny54321 - Missed and eternally loved by your CCF family.
CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396, C4

Learn More...
United States
21967 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2015  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! Bob I'm speechless, you have a fantastic talent. Thanks for letting us see your work.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3964 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2015  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, all. And, Med ("Share that feeling"): yeah, even my students know not to post pics of me on their Facebook pages.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4721 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2015  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oh wow BL, that's some pretty amazing stuff. I'm not an art person really, but man that's some mc escher/ salvador dali grade trip art!

i really like "discovery of suffering" painting as well.

here is on of my better works, it's called "chris and the screaming pickle". I was trying to draw a coin...but ....you know.

Edited by chrsmat71
02/13/2015 8:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3964 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2015  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A prime example of minimalist linear abstraction, Chris. Good job, buddy!

About the painting you reference, "The Discovery of Suffering": you may recognize the theme, which is one of the pivotal events that puts Siddartha on the path to enlightenment - leading to his becoming the Buddha. I was teaching Renaissance art history at the time and sort of became fascinated by the idea/challenge of depicting an ancient Eastern myth in a more-or-less High Renaissance (Western) pictorial vocabulary. It was primarily done as a challenge to myself. It's obviously very different from my typical work.
Edited by Bob L
02/13/2015 8:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2015  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonder what you would make out of the Temptation of St.Anthony.

Btw, Kudos to having studied at Harvard and made a living with humanities.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3964 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2015  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Med. The Temptation of St. Anthony would indeed be an interesting subject to tackle...there are certainly some great examples of it in the history of art. Might be fun to do a riff on it some day. The St. Francis was my first - and thus far only - attempt to visualize a Christian narrative - I'm not Christian, so haven't explored associated imagery much. But I was really feeling the connection to Francis while in Assisi...and concurrent to the visit, was reading a great bio on him.

Actually, earlier today I finished priming a larger wood panel for another, bigger and more complex version of the Francis scene.

Regarding the education: yeah, I guess this is what happens when you put yourself out there...People start pokin' around and finding out stuff!

Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2015  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certain spiritual experiences are not restricted to any particular religion or even any religion at all. Just like the talking to animals is quite a universal theme, you could replace St.Francis with a Shaman or an Aboriginal Elder (to name just two) and the basic essence of the experience would be the same.

As per Assisi, while I remember the township and the basilica the one image which sticks most in my mind is the long row of old style toilets (those without seats, but just a hole in the ground and holding bars on the sides) at the parking lot - wonder if they were still there when you visited.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3964 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2015  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I completely agree with your comment about spiritual experiences, Med.

I don't recall those toilets (thankfully?) but, then, anytime there are Giotto's in the vicinity, I'm not likely to notice much else. He's my biggest artistic hero. I spent a lot of time with the frescoes in the cathedral. Was just in Assisi for about a day; most of that trip was spent in Florence.
Pillar of the Community
Spain
629 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2015  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Athalbert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well...
I promise to post here my photo...
...but I must take some "posting photos for dummies" lessons before!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4775 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2015  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Check VisigothKing's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Athalbert! I like your username, very "Germanic"
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 241, Byzantine: 44, Post-Roman Germanic: 24
Pillar of the Community
Spain
629 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2015  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Athalbert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

well, I promised...
but I must have a photograph first!
This is an image of a newspaper with my photo as lecturer at the University of Ibiza...

me and my wife saying goobye to a friend at the airport...
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05