Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1902 Indian Head cent on Venezuelan (?) planchet

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
7215 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2013  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could send it to Rick Snow and let him take a look. He's a bit of an expert on Indian cents lol.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
1428 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2013  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What about the possibility that it is a counterfeit coin? Possibly a "trial" run? I bought a counterfeit 1877 IHC a couple years ago that was struck off-center on a smaller than usual planchet. I'll post a picture of it here after I get home tonight...
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2013  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stazstaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can send a coin to someone? My father used to send coins to someone who put them in hard plastic cases... Anacs? or something like that. I watch "Pawn Stars" and they sometimes have coins in those plastic things too. He used to complain that it cost a lot of money to do that. This is a cent.... certainly would not like to spend $100.00 or whatever to find out it is worth less than a cent! I am not much of a gambler.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7215 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2013  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Google Rick Snow coins, I would do a link but I'm never sure what's allowed. Contact him and explain what you have, he'll know what it is and if he thinks its worth looking at he'll let you know.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2013  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stazstaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you 52Raymo. I will contact him and see what he says!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1428 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2013  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the pics of the weakly struck counterfeit 1877 IHC. It's off-center on a smaller diameter planchet... about the size of a dime

Edited by Dave H
07/08/2013 4:50 pm
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2013  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stazstaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why would someone counterfeit a cent? Dollar bills, maybe, but why a cent? Again, from the viewpoint of spending, anyway!
It is interesting. If you were going to counterfeit, why do an offcenter strike, and a weak strike, and the wrong size? Seems like a lot of trouble, and a lot of "mistakes"?
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2013  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ewaste to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why would someone counterfeit a cent? Dollar bills, maybe, but why a cent?

Because error collectors love items like off center strikes. If that counterfeit was real I could see it selling for $1000 or so. Considering a regular 1977 Indian Head cent is a key and even is bad shape they could bring as little as $500 or so.

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2013  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stazstaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, makes sense!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2392 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2013  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny how the '1877' error has the feather design of the 1886 - 1909 Indian Head cents.

The 1902 from the original post just looks like an acid dipped Indian cent to me.
Learn More...
United States
23519 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2013  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acid dipping isn't out of the question - keep in mind, acid eats away the surfaces evenly, so when you think about it it's possible to understand why considerable remaining device detail will be seen in an acid-eaten coin. An XRF analysis would be definitive in this regard and that's why I recommended it. If XRF says it's 88/12 Cu/Ni, it's acid-etched and the case is closed. If XRF says something else, it's time to get someone like Fred Weinberg on board.
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2013  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ewaste to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am currently checking my contacts in the Dallas area for a X-Ray Fluorescence tester. I will let you know if I come up with one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14574 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2013  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If XRF says it's 88/12 Cu/Ni, it's acid-etched and the case is closed.

If the XRF on a 1902 Indian Head cent comes back 88/12 Cu/Ni you've got a lot more problems than just an acid soaked cent.

I've seen cents soak in acid so thin that holes are starting to develop in the fields and the detail is still there. What that link earlier said about soaking a coin long enough turning it into a blank is not true. It just gets thinner and thinner until it eats completely through in the fields and the coin eventually crunbles. It will never turn into a "blank".
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
23519 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2013  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If the XRF on a 1902 Indian Head cent comes back 88/12 Cu/Ni you've got a lot more problems than just an acid soaked cent.

Oops.

That's what I get for grabbing the first statistic I saw.

How about we call it 95% copper, 5% tin/zinc.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6531 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2013  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought upon seeing this last night was it was acid dipped. I'd love to hear what the experts say on it.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.74 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05