Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1902 Indian Head cent on Venezuelan (?) planchet  

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
4893 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2013  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd love to hear what the experts say on it.

Me too! I hope it makes it to an XRF
Edited by amida17
07/09/2013 7:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2013  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first reaction was also acid-dipped. The wire rim and eroded shapes of letters point that to me.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2013  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RichH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some photos of my 1902 Indian Head cent compared with a 1903 Indian Head in the middle and a modern day Cent on the right. I did a web search but didn't find anything about the smaller thin 1902 planchet.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6495 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2013  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1902 on the left sure doesn't appear to be acid dipped or worn that much I'm saying a thin planchet. It would be a light or weak strike as the coin presses are set up for a certain tonnage of pressure (around 150-180 tons per inch of pressure, but worn down this much the weak strike has turned into just a worn looking cent. My guess is a legitimate mint error here.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2˘ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14027 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2013  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tonnage for striking cents is around 40 tons per square inch. Combine that with a much thinner planchet and your tonnage drops to under 20 tons. This would result in a very weak strike. With a strike that weak you should not have any of the peripheral legends present and especially not the rims as they are the last things to strike up. The only way to get this kind of detail on a planchet that thin would be to set the presses to a much higher striking pressure (maybe 60 tons for a planchet of this thickness. A thinner planchet means less metal to fill the dies so more pressure is needed.) But what happens when the next normal thickness planchet comes through? Instead of the normal 40 tons, or the reset 60 tons, because of the additional thickness that normal planchet gets hit with with 120 tons or so and things start breaking. No the press would have been set for the normal planchets and if one this thin came through it would show a very weak strike with no peripheral detail and no rims.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2013  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSkoolMadSkilz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were acid dipped, with the amount of thinning, I'd expect some details to start to disappear, like the lower right of the C in CENT and the bars in the shield. Back then, did the press reverse with a limit switch or a pressure switch? If a limit switch, I'd expect a weak or almost non existent strike. If a pressure switch, I'd expect the strike to look pretty much the same.
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2013  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm...I have a few acid-dipped coins. These coins lose a lot of thickness, while still retaining details--but they look thinner and eroded like the first pictures. I also suspect this one was dipped, then got circulated again--but send it to Rick Snow, he'll tell you for sure!
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2013  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stazstaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On mine, I did send a message to Mr Snow, and it must be bad news, because he has not replied, it has been a week.
Still trying to find the XRF.
Learn More...
United States
16270 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2013  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I once showed Rick Snow a coin which had extra metal scrap struck into it.
It looks exactly like gold under a loupe. He couldn't figure it out but if there is anyone that knows the series, it would be him.
johnny54321 - Missed and eternally loved by your CCF family.
CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396, C4

Learn More...
United States
23514 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2013  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
On mine, I did send a message to Mr Snow, and it must be bad news, because he has not replied, it has been a week.

Keep in mind that, being who he is, Rick Snow lives in a constant deluge of requests for information. I sincerely doubt he has the physical time to answer every inquiry in addition to the rest of his life commitments.
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2013  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I once showed Rick Snow a coin which had extra metal scrap struck into it.
I remember that one--it sure looked like gold! I would sure be intrigued by a lab analysis.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2013  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin screams chemical erosion to me, especially the thin to nonexistent rim and denticles which is one of the diagnostics for acidic treatment.
ANA R-3151318
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2013  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stazstaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one question, though: If it is acid erosion, why is the coin smaller (across) than a regular cent, but still has the rim?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2013  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the rim has been dissolved which leaves you with a coin that has an undersized diameter.
ANA R-3151318
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2013  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BluegrassRiver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember the Shrinky Dinks in the late 1960's? This is obviously from that box. Puzzle solved!
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05