Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaning Chinese Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 4,124Next Topic  
Macedonia
16 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2013  10:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adzi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I need help in cleaning these Chinese coins from green plaque.

Thanks
Adzi

Edited by Adzi
07/22/2013 11:05 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2013  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fat Freddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1---I'm not really a legit, respectable coin collector, so take my advice with how ever many grains of salt you wish.
2---Orthodox advice in response to your question will probably say to only soak them in distilled water and gently rub with a soft cloth.
Orthodox advice will also say that any harsher cleaning techniques are not advisable because they'll deteriorate the condition of the coin.
3---Some of the more dedicated collectors will likely be along shortly to add their input.
4---There are numerous threads here about cleaning coins that could provide you with countless hours of reading. Use the search function.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20170 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2013  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I don't know if it's available where your at but something called Acetone may help. A search with the tab at the top for Searching cleaning coins, coin cleaning, Acetone, etc. may help with many suggestions. You could also try just plain distilled water but probably will not help much.
You should be able to get Acetone from any place that sells Paint.
just carl
Learn More...
Australia
13582 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2013  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carl, these coins are 1000 years old Song Dynasty coins (the bottom one is Tang Dynasty, even older) and have probably been in the ground for most of that time. This is corrosion and acetone isn't going to help.

As for cleaning them, from the look of them, I'd say somebody has already attempted to clean them. They'd have come out of the ground looking completely green. They would probably have looked better without any cleaning at all (cash collectors like their older cash coins with natural green patina on them). But, for these coins, since the cleaning process has already been botched, it may as well continue for most of them. For coins where the remaining deposits do not obstruct details, like the bottom one, leave them alone - they're clean enough.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2013  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcmworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the corrosion is not spreading then leave it alone, it's stable.
If you need to remove the corrosion, use a brass wire brush. But these look fine as they are. Looks like contact ashesions from where the coins were touching in the ground when they were buried. They also look like they've been waxed.
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
283 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2013  02:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pheroow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I wouldn't clean them.
These green plaques define its beauty to me.
Macedonia
16 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2013  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adzi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok
Thanks to all of You.
Best regards from Macedonia.
Adzi
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oabmarcus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't clean them if I were you. From my experience dealing with Chinese coin buyers, they prefer to have the original patina on the coin (no matter how much you dislike it), cleaning old Chinese coins only destroy their value. Unless you plan NEVEr to sell them and keep it in your collection forever, I would keep them as is. Chinese buyers in fact pay a premium for very nice patinas.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend a Chinese laundry.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1190 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could pick up some Verdi-Care, soak them and rinse, it should stop further spread.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 4,124Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05