Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yard Sale Find!

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2686 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2013  11:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hit up a huge yard sale early this morning and found these lovely LWC. The Lincoln cent fanatic in me made me jump on these suckers. 1937-1953 all mintmark of each date (P,D,S) BU UNC wheat pennies and a couple BU 1960 small date pennies. Any guesses on what I paid for all these? I'll reveal the price I paid after a few guesses. I'll attach a few photos of the general condition of all these coins. (Some are a little lower grade than these photos, but all seem to be UNC)

Edited by WheatBack
08/31/2013 11:59 am
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2013  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add snowman24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
10 bucks ?
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2013  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJHFL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Haul! And I'm guessing you stole it! $5
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2013  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJHFL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Haul! And I'm guessing you stole it! $5
Pillar of the Community
United States
2686 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2013  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish they were 10 bucks! That would've made for the deal of a lifetime. Maybe what I paid wasn't a steal. The guy selling them had an idea of what they were, but it wasn't the typical yard sale price or local coin shop retail price either for most of them, but I still enjoy these bad boys. They'll look good in my Dansco.
Edited by WheatBack
08/31/2013 12:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7661 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2013  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those 60 small dates are a good grab !
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2013  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you like them ...and like what you paid for them ... Then that's is what matters most

But my guess would have been $5.00

Edit ... As Raymond posted .. The 60 small dates may have help
Make the price better ... Depending on grade and eye appeal
Edited by GR58
08/31/2013 12:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2686 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2013  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just curious.. What would be the retail price on something like this?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2686 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2013  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the two small dates:

Pillar of the Community
United States
1716 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2013  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Check The_Duke's eBay Listings Check The_Duke's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add The_Duke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think $5 too.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2013  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a hard question.

Because many long time collectors, have boxes and rolls of BU
Wheat cent. And many dealers have more then they can sell

Coins like the ones you purchased, can be bought well below
retail price. If you develop good relationships with dealers or
other collectors.

If your pre 1940 coins are really nice, that would also help in the price you paid. As for the 1960 small date, the 60D is common, and the 60 small looks AU.

I don't know what you paid for these coins, but if they are a upgrade for your collection ... Then you should be ok.

I do hope you did not pay over $20.00
Pillar of the Community
United States
2686 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2013  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sheesh, I guess I got burned. I'll go ahead and say I paid $1 a piece for them. With a dollar a piece I thought it was actually a good deal considering I'd have to REALLY overpay at my LCS. He has a BU 1942-S running at $30 and the one I picked up at the yard sale today for $1 looked just as good. I'd definitely have had to pay way more on eBay as well. I've been trying to upgrade all my wheats, but I'm still a bit inexperienced in my collecting.
Edited by WheatBack
08/31/2013 12:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1716 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2013  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Check The_Duke's eBay Listings Check The_Duke's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add The_Duke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think $5 too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
597 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2013  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add reupman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no they sell on eBay for a dollar or more all day long so you will make a profit on them and any profit is a good deal congrats!
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2013  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJHFL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even though my guess was $5, that is only because I thought you stole them. Even common date wheats usually sell for $9-$12 for a BU PDS set of a year on the bay.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2013  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they are selling for that much .. I will be picking up more.

I know I can pick up coins like that at pretty low prices ..

But then I have hundreds in 2X2 boxes .. that I have not done anything
with for years.

I will say again .. if they are upgrades for your collections .. you did good.

It might be interesting to take your 1942S to that coin shop .. see what they offer you ...
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05