Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Watchers On Ebay

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1657 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2013  7:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Petersun to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Since I don't usually buy on eBay, I naturally don't have much knowledge about it.

Could someone please explain what the word "watcher" means? I can uderstand buyers watching an auction, but why a buy it now coin?

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000W-BU-PL...em3ccfd41d0f

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
1844 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2013  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add artdio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Petersun I used to ask myself that also but I figured it out...Perhaps those watchers also have that coin in there collection and are trying to base a price on what they have.. Maybe they want to sell it.... More curious than anything I think
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1554 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2013  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are several reasons why persons "WATCH" an auction or a coin being advertised as a BUY IT NOW item. These are some of the reasons listed below:

>watcher may have a similar item for sale and wnats to see it the item being watched will sell for the B.I.N. price.

>watcher is keeping tabs on high end or scarce items and tallying up stats for personal use on items they may be interested in the future.

>watcher may wait till the last minute to place a bid or purchase a B.I.N. item, either because they are not 100% sure of the item/purchase and are hesitant.

>watcher may simply be curious as to who if anyone may purchase the item in question.

Glenn
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2013  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justanothercoinaddict to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use the eBay watch list to track coins that interest me during a coin search. If the coin is a "maybe" or if I just don't want to lose track of it I put it on my watch list. If something better or more interesting comes along I remove it.

Occasionally I will watch a coin that interests me even if the cost is more than I want, or can afford, to pay. Overpriced coins sometimes come down after a while and so I use the watch list to keep an eye on them until that happens.
Valued Member
Canada
106 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2013  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jello_g to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good points glenzy. I was under the impression it was no longer possible to see who the buyer is (if you are neither the buyer or seller, the ID is blocked from view).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1554 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2013  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jello, yes I realize what you are saying about hidden ID.'s during the bidding process, however, sooner or later the buyer/seller exchange Feedback. that's when it comes to light who the purchaser is!

Glenn
Valued Member
Canada
227 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2013  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Barrie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I set a price as to what I'm willing to pay for a particular coin and depending upon the time remaining for the auction may well 'watch' it to see if at the end it's what I'm willing to pay. That's when I'll start bidding.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1184 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2013  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Pokermandude's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pokermandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's basically just a bookmark for a specific listing.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1657 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2013  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petersun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the list, glenzy1
Pillar of the Community
Canada
692 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2013  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add middross to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another reason to watch a BIN would be.....

You watch an item, and look around to see if you could find a similar item for less. If not then you purchase the watched coin.
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2013  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jwguts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, it's a bookmark. I haven't decided if I want the item yet.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1657 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2013  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petersun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it's usually for BIN items with 1 or more items in stock.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
604 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2013  01:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EastVanRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I watch BIN items that I may want to buy, but are not a priority or I don't have funds immediately available to purchase at the time.

Sometimes, I will buy them later.

Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2013  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Night Hawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I watch an item for many reasons.

Not enough money at the moment.
I'm curious to see what it actually sells for.
I'm not sure if I really want it.
I'm bidding on another like it, but if I don't win the first one the one on the watch list becomes my next target.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
775 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2013  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As well as auction sites and dealer listings, I keep tabs on any coins I'm interested in that come up for sale, including watching on eBay.

I do this because if I see a coin I like, I can then refer to my records of the prices and condition (grade) of ones that have previously come up for sale. I can then decide whether the price on the coin I want is acceptable and whether the grade could be bettered. I can also do my own 'population' report, seeing how many examples of rarer coins have come up for sale.

So that includes BIN items. Even ones that don't sell.

If I know where the coin sold before or who owned it, I add that information to my record as well.

Over the years I have collected over 1300 records. A valuable resource to me that is only possible because of the internet!

Valued Member
Canada
357 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2013  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Over the years I have collected over 1300 records.

Time consuming even then. Do you use any specific software?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05