Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best I can get on a $400 budget? Help

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37
Pillar of the Community
Austria
1990 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  02:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get a Link to this Reply
Quote:

austrokiwi.I made this post for a setup on a budget of $400.00! Ray has done that for me and many others. If you are looking to debate something other than this, I don't think this is the thread it should be done in....just my opinion

Let's make this clear. I didn't want a debate. Every positive thing I said about the camera are things that rmpsrmps has identified as suitable for coin photography. One thing I didn't state that rmpsrmps has also correctly identified is that the M/3 sensor format(4/3) is actually better suited for coins.

Now for those who are confused by me stating that I was suggesting the camera as opposed to recommending it. I do make recommendations from time to time on cameras for coin photography. But never in a forum like this. When I do make specific recommendations I establish exactly what the person's needs are. I give them options and make it clear they need to do their own research as well.

I stopped posting on this thread a couple of years ago as it seemed every time I made a casual comment RMPSRMPS would turn it into an argument. It was a mistake, this is my last post in this part of the forum. I just find rmpsrmps technical and argumentative approach destroys any enjoyment of the photography part of the forum. The issue for me is the one solution fits all approach that stifles looking at other ways of doing things. In photography, there is never ever any single best way. There is no best camera there is no best lens.

Edited by austrokiwi
12/06/2018 02:57 am
Valued Member
Canada
475 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When I do make specific recommendations I establish exactly what the person's needs are. I give them options and make it clear they need to do their own research as well.

Im not a photographer and never will be, I just wanted a simple setup....one setup that worked without doing a bunch of research. Most of us are busy with life and don't have the time to spend looking into things. I found that doing "research" just confused me more. Ray put a simple list together of what I needed, and most important he told me how to use it in the most easy way possible without all the technical jargon.

Quote:
I just find rmpsrmps technical and argumentative approach destroys any enjoyment of the photography part of the forum.

There was no enjoyment in photography until I met ray! IMO he is a great teacher.

Quote:
The issue for me is the one solution fits all approach that stifles looking at other ways of doing things. In photography, there is never ever any single best way. There is no best camera there is no best lens.

I don't think anyone has questioned that. I'm sure he could have gave me 20 different recommendations and told me to research....that's not what I wanted. Again, I just wanted "one" setup and a little advice on how to use it and Ray was the only one that gave me that. He has also tweaked the setup to help suit the needs of others.

5 years ago, I was about to give up but decided to give it one last chance and asked for help on here....I went all in and put my trust in Ray and in no time at all, I was producing amazing pictures, even better than I hoped for.

What's even better, 5 years later, I still don't know a thing about photography and have no idea half the time on what you guys are talking about, BUT I can take a great picture of a coin! Thanks Ray!

Edited by rmc
12/06/2018 05:09 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4004 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's even better, 5 years later, I still don't know a thing about photography and have no idea half the time on what you guys are talking about, BUT I can take a great picture of a coin! Thanks Ray!

I will second and third this, I'm in the same boat.

Thanks Ray
Please feel free to view my Gallery
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Pillar of the Community
United States
3031 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks rmc and mcshilling for your kind words.

I've received many emails over the last 5 years (even recently) from folks who rarely post on the forum saying they had put together the <$400 setup and it was working well for them. The thread has also been linked in most other coin forums either by me or by others when the question of a low-cost / high performance system comes up. No telling how many of these setups have been put together, but the feedback I've received has all been positive.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Edited by rmpsrpms
12/06/2018 11:49 am
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinphotofan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel indebted to Ray for his advice on the setup of the system. Although I have grown out of the <$400 setup (I am using 75 ADR, Printing Nikkor 95mm and Cannon/Olympus/Minolta bellows lenses), it was Ray's posts that sent me in the right direction. From my experience with the Chinese coin photography chat group, I understand that most people just need a good-enough, cost-effective setup for taking nice pictures, without going into all the technical details of macro photography. Ray's recommendation serves this purpose very well.

By the way, I find tethering essential to my coin photography work. It makes life much easier.
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05