Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best I Can Get On A $400 Budget? Help

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 599 / Views: 83,708Next Topic
Page: of 40
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2020  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jdsherod to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just want to send out a big Thanks! to Ray for all his help. I received his System-X on Friday and I got the last of my parts list yesterday. I went through the detailed set up and I thought I would show some images and get your opinions. The obverse coloring doesn't look right and both images have trememdous clarity, but don't look real to me for some reason.
Jon

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2020  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jdsherod to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a couple more test shots.
Jon

Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2020  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gluggo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on the system X setup! The pictures look good I am sure someone will come and give you the fine tune analysis. Congrats again on your investment I am sure you will love it like I like mine!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
640 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2020  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome that this thread is still going. I built my entire setup from this thread about 3 years ago and am still using it, albeit with upgraded camera. Great photos Jdsherod!

I actually think these kind of lights are the best for coin photography as the light is perfect and not too harsh.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2020  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jdsherod to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I played around with the saturation a little bit and managed to get a bit of the true toning I am seeing on this 1973 S LMC.
Jon

Pillar of the Community
United States
3416 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi @jdsherod...your last pic looks like the lights are shining directly on the coin. Are you using the diffuser? It might be useful to post a pic of the setup in the exact way you're using it for these shots so folks can help in debugging...Ray
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jdsherod to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am using the diffuser that you sent, and I have the lights positioned around 10 and 2 o'clock about 2" from the diffuser like you suggested. Unfortunately, my setup is at home and I'm at work, so I can post a picture of it when I get home tonight.
I spent a lot of time photographing my newly completed Ike collection yesterday and I must confess I am very pleased with the results. I made an adjustment to the white balance as you described in your set up and I beleive that made a pretty significant difference for the Ike series.
Jon
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2020  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jdsherod to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a picture of my System-X set up with the difuse lighting.
Jon

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2020  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jdsherod to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some photos of Ike's with diffuse vs direct lighting.
Jon
Direct

Diffuse

Pillar of the Community
United States
3416 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2020  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Ike looks great! What aperture setting are you using? I recommend f8 for Dollars with the Nikon 75mm.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3416 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2020  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted just after you did. Is the yellowish color correct?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3416 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2020  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you move the lights a bit closer to the diffuser you can get more luster to present. Farther from the diffuser = more diffuse, less luster.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2020  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jdsherod to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My aperture is set to f5.6 as described in the set up, but I will try the f8.0 and see what that does. Yes, the Ike has beautiful golden toning and I was annoyed at not being able to see it in my photos. What I find interesting is that when I view the photos on my monitor at work they look perfect. Color is right on, and looks like what I am holding in my hand. On my laptop the colors are almost washed out of the photo.
I need to look at my laptop's display settings and see if there is any adjustment.
Thanks for all the input guys!
Jon
Pillar of the Community
United States
3416 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought about posting this on the El Cheapo lenses thread, but seems more appropriate here...

For someone looking to put together the original "<$400" setup with the Nikon M5 objective, see link below...$29.99 and free shipping. Remember that you'll need an adapter for RMS mount. I'm not sure if the original link works, so I'll provide a new one below:

Objective:https://www.ebay.com/itm/313701509361
Adapter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/403219151535

For anyone interested, I've found some mini ringlights that work really well with the M5 and other small objective types with a flat front, such as the B&L 3.5x, the Zeiss 2.5x, the Unitron 3x, the Nikon 4Plan, etc. You may be familiar with the "Angel Eyes" ringlights that many folks use, and these mini ringlights are from the same family. I usually use 40mm or 50mm diameter ones, but the new ones are 20mm. If folks have interest I'll post more info on them. I plan to try them with all the above objectives to see what works best.
Page: of 40 Previous TopicReplies: 599 / Views: 83,708Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: