Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coins Not Packed Well From Ebay

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4678 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2013  2:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So....just got some coins that arrived today from eBay. Not a happy camper about how the coins were packed. The quarters were not in any sort of flip. Was placed on sheet of paper. A strip of paper was over the coins then taped. Opened the envelope and coins were sticking to tape!! Not sure what to do about feedback. I only paid $6.50 anyways. The quarters were the S mint quarters from last year. I believe I overpaid and the seller used 2 stamps and I think the coins got dinged a little as I assume it went through the mail sorter since it has a bunch of black lines on the bottom of said envelope. Am I making too much a big deal here?
Edited by TheForce
09/19/2013 2:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2805 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2013  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nalaberong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pack my coins by stapling them in Ziplock bags, then wrapping the bag in cardstock. It's easier than 2x2s but has the same net effect.

Taping the coins directly is a no-no, but I'd just be worried about what the seller does with silver. If they're just clad, then it should be all right... but it could leave residue, which is irritating. I'd give neutral for bad packaging.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1429 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2013  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That happened to me one time where the seller taped the coins to cardstock & shipped through the mail. I also didn't pay much for them, but did e-mail the seller letting them know that was not an acceptable way to ship coins. They apologized and asked me what method would be better. I ended up leaving positive feedback since all other aspects of the transaction were outstanding.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19171 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2013  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just one more reason I stay away from eBay.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2013  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use Daves approach. They may not know any better so I always let them know in a nice way and see what they say before making a decision.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4040 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2013  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basebal21 & Dave H,
A learning experience for sender and receiver.
Plus more knowledge for all at CCF.
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2013  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyJames to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always get a kick out of seeing how people package coins from eBay. I've had some thrown into a ziploc bags with no tape or anything else. Other packages are packaged so much that opening them is like solving a brain teaser.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2013  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Oak Ridge irradiated dime I just bought off the bay arrived today... It was in a bubble wrap lined Manila envelope, not in bubble wrap, the envelope with the wrap attached to the inside. The coin was completely loose... Not in a bag, flip, 2x2.. Nada... Just bouncing around the envelope. As it was the only coin it wasn't damaged, and it arrived ok so I can't complain but risky to ship it like that IMHO. Some sellers definitely need a lesson on packing coins...

O, and the seller sent it insured... Kinda odd to me as it was a cheap purchace.. O well, better safe than sorry I guess..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
519 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2013  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add o-train to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last two coins I purchased on eBay came taped directly to a junk mail flyer in a regular envelope. One of them was a 1922 small cent although the seller also didn't post pictures of the obverse so I kind of knew what I was getting into.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2013  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add welder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have to see what the other items the seller is selling. This says a lot how your item will be treated.

For example, if they are selling everything under the roof the chances are they are not numismatists and will ship your coin any way they feel appropriate. Usually these sellers are cleaning out their grandparents estate or the coin was given to them and they do not see the value of what is in their hands.

But if they are selling mostly coins, or sports-cards, or comics they will handle the coins properly for shipment.

TheForce - Your S-quarters may have been dinged from a 100-coin bag, but chances are the damages are courtesy of the USPS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2687 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2013  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased a few BU wheaties for my 8100 Dansco album off eBay and they came stapled to the inside of a Merry Christmas card in a Hallmark envelope. They were nicely separated in those miniature zip bags, but I thought the method of sending them was strange.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2013  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I purchased a few BU wheaties for my 8100 Dansco album off eBay and they came stapled to the inside of a Merry Christmas card in a Hallmark envelope. They were nicely separated in those miniature zip bags, but I thought the method of sending them was strange.

Its more a way to try and hide them for someone not wanting to pay for a package to ship it. The card gives a little protection but it prevents the coins from jumping out as coins for anyone thinking of pocketing it.
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2013  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJHFL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bottom line is its eBay. Every single purchase I make I go into it knowing I may not get what I want, what I expected, etc. I dont take it personal and I dont get upset when something goes wrong. I take proactive steps to insure the best possible outcome when shopping on eBay. I will pay more if it looks like it will increase my odds of a smooth transaction when it comes to one seller vs another. But the reality is even someone who sells only what you are after, has 100% feedback in the hundred thousands, etc., can still make a mistake or do something you feel is not acceptable. Not directed towards the OP, but sometimes I see people get so fired up over an eBay transaction. I understand it is frustrating, but if you cant go into it with the above mindset, eBay is not a good choice for some.
Valued Member
United States
477 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2013  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shootnstarz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I've had most of my coins packed so well it takes me longer to get to them than it did to make the trip in the mail.

Rick
Valued Member
United States
402 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2013  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edgman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This happens to me once in awhile also. I would let the seller know about it and return the coins if you can or want to. If I see a new seller with only a 100 or so sales I'm a little weary especially if he does free shipping on cheaper sales. That usually means tape right over the coins themselves. Maybe for all this seller knows he is doing it right. A little advice always helps. For the amount of coins sold on eBay this is bound to happen to a lot of us now and then.

Just my thoughts

edgman
Pillar of the Community
1028 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2013  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hesgut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's strange, of all the problems I've ever had on eBay, this hasn't been one of them. I've bought a pretty decent amount of coins on that site and not a single one ever showed up with tape touching the coin. Some were packaged worse than others, but all were packaged well enough so I don't believe they were injured in transit.

If a seller does tape the coins, I would probably just let them know through messages. It's not something anyone would want to do to try and get over, it's just ignorance. I wouldn't dock them in any way through feedback or DSR. If the coin showed up damaged, I may seek some resolution, which could result in feedback issues, but that's a different story.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05