Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

One Of These Days I've Got To Go To A Fun Show

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
4531 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2013  08:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I hear lots of good comments about FUN shows.
They vary somewhat depending on the time of the year and the location but feedback is mostly positive.

I'm close to Baltimore so I get three Whitman shows a year.
They are VERY well thought of.

I tried the Philly Whitman show twice and they were weak.
And I've been to two ANA shows (Wash, DC and New Orleans) and I was very disappointed in them.

The only downer for me with a FUN show would be the cost of getting there.
Maybe if I tied it to a short vacation it would work.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
950 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2013  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add baysinger626 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been planning to go to Florida for a while now, so it works our perfectly for me to make it to the Jan 2014 one, and then I have abother week or so of vacation! I'm so excited!
Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2013  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add giorgio11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would definitely do the winter FUN show in Florida rather than Summer FUN which is a Work in Progress.
Best Regards,

George
https://VDBCoins.com
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2013  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdwoods to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went to a FUN show in 2005 or 6. My memory is getting bad these days. The weather was unusually warm and I had the windows in my room open most of the time. It was a great venue and easy to get to from where I stayed. Plus there are lots of places to stay because of the other attractions in the area.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2013  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdwoods to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the Baltimore shows Kanga. The Inner Harbor is really cool.
Learn More...
United States
16356 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2013  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FUN is a very good show. Lots of dealers and coins to look at.
Some dealers, as with any show, have a bunch of cleaned junk mixed in with their inventory.
When I see a dealer selling an obviously cleaned coin as problem free, I just move on.
Most dealers are approachable and very friendly.
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2013  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Salus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What does FUN stand for and what are safest, cheapest hotels for the January FUN show please?

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1432 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2013  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Florida United Numismatists

Here's a link to the 2014 show.
http://www.funtopics.com/fun-convention.html

I'll let the others fill you in on the hotel rooms. Last year I stayed at one of the Rosen hotels. There are at least 2, maybe 3 very close to the Convention Center and a free shuttle runs to the show on a regular basis. They were reasonably priced for their proximity.
Pillar of the Community
United States
806 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2013  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Florida Undead Numismatics .............. :)

Seriously, the last Detroit show had 182 tables in the bourse area. Is the Florida show much bigger? What makes it different from all the other shows that make people go gaga over it? I'm curious also.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2013  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdwoods to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's one of the premier shows in the country. The Michigan show is nice but the FUN is much larger. Plus you get out of the snow for a few days. ;)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1429 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2013  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Seriously, the last Detroit show had 182 tables in the bourse area. Is the Florida show much bigger? What makes it different from all the other shows that make people go gaga over it? I'm curious also.

There were over 600 dealers at the Jan show this year. The summer show only had a fraction of that.

I heard through the grapevine that the 2015 FUN show is moving to Tampa...
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2013  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
what are safest, cheapest hotels for the January FUN show please?

Last year I stayed at the Red Roof Inn at 9922 Hawaiian Ct (for your Google search - there are two in Orlando). It was cheap, clean and just a short walk from the Convention Center, literally across the road. This stuff is all on International Drive, which is sort of "Tourist Central" in Orlando. It's a good neighborhood, never had the slightest worries about wandering International Drive, and it's lined with good restaurants and nightspots. You could go a month and eat each meal at a different spot within walking distance.

If it's your kind of thing, I particularly liked The Pub:

http://www.experiencethepub.com/orlando

Excellent food and a truly amazing selection of beers from the British Isles on tap. If you end up there (or anyone reading), do not miss the Belhaven Ale. It is to die for.
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2013  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fromms2244 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am planning on attending... anyone know when the schedule for the seminars will be available?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1429 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2013  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the link to FUN...

http://www.funtopics.com/fun-convention.html

The seminars have not yet been posted on the site, but should be soon.

Also, show is moving to Tampa Jan 2016, NOT 2015 as I erroneously posted earlier...
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2013  02:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fromms2244 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dave. I am familiar with FUN's website... just anxious for the list to come out. I will only be there for Thurs and Fri. I may be able to swing that Saturday out of it as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
806 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2013  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just checked out the link for the FUN show and have a question. When it says "1,500 dealers" does that mean dealers proper, or does that figure include the following ...auctions, exhibits, etc.? If it does mean dealers only, then I figured that if you went there and spent just ONE MINUTE PER DEALER then it would take you over 25 hours to view each dealers' wares. Wow!

Sounds like a place to find almost anything. I'm also thinking that Florida might have the most coin collectors per capita, considering that when retirees move down there they also take their collections with them. Just a thought.

As for me, though I'd love to attend, the cost to get and stay there is prohibitive. I'll just wait until next month for the Michigan show, which is only a 2 1/2 mile drive from my house.
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05