Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is It Worth Buying Proof Sets?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 2,318Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2013  2:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lyle Kruse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am thinking about buying proof sets, but wanted to know if it would by worth it.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
548 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2013  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Demarco Bishopp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends if you're buying for enjoyment or as an investment. If you're buying for enjoyment then you need to weigh up the cost against how much pleasure you're likely to get from owning a set.

If you're buying as an investment then I would think again. People generally buy proof sets because it's nice to own a perfect set of the coins they use on a daily basis, not as something that's likely to increase in value.

Coin collecting is basically about supply and demand. A proof set from the 1980s will probably be worth the same today as it was back then because there are still hundreds of thousands of them out there. A proof set from from the 1930s will be worth considerably more.

Hope that helps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1723 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2013  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Check The_Duke's eBay Listings Check The_Duke's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add The_Duke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy them to enjoy (save money and buy them on the secondary market after the release (wait a few years)) and not as an investment.
www.dukescoins.ecrater.com
ANA #3159445
Valued Member
United States
368 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2013  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add schris252 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i only buy proof sets for years (or decades) that hold significance to me. kind of a keepsake of sorts. I have no intention to sell them, so collectible/value is not important to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6338 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2013  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy proof sets but avoid the clad sets. Worth is arguable, they are not an investment but an addition to your collection of high quality and detail.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4894 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2013  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you enjoy collecting them then it is worth it...as was already mentioned if you are expecting them to be worth more in the future then there are better choices. I collect some of the silver proof sets (usually quarters) and spring for the LE set which started last year. I love the ASE proof.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3789 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2013  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yup7676 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For investment, no dont buy them.

If you are just collecting for fun, then yes.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2013  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pipewelder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got them from 65' to 98' and enjoy them. Just part of my collection.
Pillar of the Community
872 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2013  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector-Corner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a collector and business owner. I buy proof sets and crack the coins out of the holders and mylar them individually after I inspect them for errors. My strategy is, there is going to be more single purchases for a specific coin than selling a set. Proofsets from mid 70's to bout 2000 are cheap and affordable.

It depends on your end goal. Do you intend to keep the year together and collect the US year type coins, or are you going to keep say, the Kennedy halves and sell the rest to complete the entire Kennedy half series. The strategies are endless.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18356 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2013  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New mint products sold from the Mint or through their agents are usually poor initial investments. Mints around the World, after all, are there to maximize profits for their stakeholders like anybody else. That should not stop you from buying the those products however, if that is where your interests are.

If you are interested in the mint products aftermarket, it would be to your advantage to study the price trends of those products that catch your interest, before making a decision to buy or sell.

If you want to have fun and enjoyment and to learn and develop your interests, that is OK too. I have been into numismatics generally for most of my adult life for this reason.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2305 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2013  01:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only buy them for collecting. They never sell when you need to sell them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1053 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2013  03:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinDan98 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

with others. Do what you find most pleasurable.
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2013  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwisker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally have been collection them to bust out and put into my books that have proof spots.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20170 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2013  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy some every year for Christmas Presents. Makes it easy to give them instead of the stuff in stores that most people would rather buy themselves. By that I mean if you buy someone a tie and they don't wear them, waste of money. If you buy someone a scarf and they never wear them, waste of money. Stuff like that ends up in the garbage, at a Salvation Army store, etc. At least with a proof set of coins people have a tendency to keep them. Most people think they will someday be worth a fortune. Never happens though. I used to keep one of two for myself but stopped that a few years ago. They are just not worth the space they take up.
just carl
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  02:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bill4112 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins are not just a way to pay for goods and services: they are also works of art. Unlike most works of art, some coins are made of precious metals (silver, gold, platinum). Precious metal coins will retain their metal value over time and may even rise in value, as gold coins have done over the last 20 years or so. Coins are also subject to supply and demand, just as any other work of art is. Unfortunately, many proof sets have been produced in such large numbers that the demand has been satisfied for the foreseeable future. If you enjoy owning works of art in coin form, then proof coins are the best you can find, but don't count on making a profit on them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11474 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  03:49 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been tempted to buy silver proof sets, especially now that they are .999 silver instead of 90%.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Edited by spruett001
02/25/2021 03:50 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 2,318Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05