Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Canadian Tokens

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
While I haven't started a low-ball collection, YET, if I were to start one, this is the one I would start with.
Well done!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
985 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thoughts on this one?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2239 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The arc is nearly identical to the circumference of the coins itself, leads me to think that perhaps a slice of webbing found it's way into the chamber as a "struck through", or perhaps even the collar itself was involved.

Really interesting piece - I want one !

Valued Member
Canada
105 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Purelywasted: Thoughts on this one?

@Purelywasted:
If I'm not mistaken, it's an incomplete clip. This type of error usually occurs during the creation of blanks (Often at the time the machine is restarted after a sudden interruption, or during set-up of equipment).

This is a relatively well known type of error. Otherwise, there are many post mint damage that try to pretend to be authentic, but I believe that the error on your token is indeed authentic.

Example that may differ on decimal coins:
http://www.coinscan.com/mintingvari...mpletec.html

Maybe someone else could confirm or disprove my hypothesis?
Edited by ainsivalavie
07/18/2019 9:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2239 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10174 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Wade

Penny T.S. Brown & Co

Very nice!
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
985 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2019  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ainsivalavie and wade, looks a lot like the quarter on the coinscan site.
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My newest addition - PCGS MS63BN. I believe it is Courteau #290.

https://www.PCGS.com/cert/36973866

Edited by 1960NYGiants
08/19/2019 10:50 pm
Valued Member
Canada
105 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1960NYGiants: My newest addition. I believe it is Courteau #290.

https://www.PCGS.com/cert/36973866

@1960NYGiants:

You're right.

An anecdote about the variety courteau #290, according to my research to date, it is the pair of dies that struck the most tokens in this series (Breton #719 & #720).

And more precisely concerning the issue of the 1 Penny 1857, about 9.9% of the tokens that have reached us today come from this combination of dies.
Edited by ainsivalavie
08/19/2019 10:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ainsivalavie - thank you.

What isn't mentioned in your book is that the N of oNe, the E's in tokEn and pEnny are both re-entered slightly to the right. As seen in the large PCGS photo linked above.
Great Collections Representative
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add greatcollections to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We recently graded this token for a client. Not many known of this type.

- Ian

Valued Member
Canada
105 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2019  01:39 am  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1960NYGiants:

What isn't mentioned in your book is that the N of oNe, the E's in tokEn and pEnny are both re-entered slightly to the right. As seen in the large PCGS photo linked above.

@1960NYGiants:

Thank you for your feedback, it's really appreciated. I would like more people to do the same.

But concerning the absence in my book of the details you mentioned, there are relatively some good reasons.

In Courteau's original work, the author tries to find a series of unique elements, or even a single element, that would describe a combination of dies in as few words as possible. Thus, for the reverse of Courteau #290/#291, the die crack above anchor's left fluke is a fairly good indicator for the group #1.

And not to mention that the characteristics you describe are present on other dies used for the 1857 issue, and they are relatively minor for this series of tokens.

But having seen some of the die descriptions presented by ColonialTokens (Doug), which have a lot of characteristics of mentioned, I imagine that in his eventual forthcoming book these details will be present.
Edited by ainsivalavie
08/20/2019 01:40 am
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  12:08 am  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a purchase from the Calgary RCNA. LC-16A1, thick flan 11.3g, reeded edge. I grade it as VF 25/30.

Gene
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05