Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Canadian Tokens

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 578 / Views: 53,909Next Topic
Page: of 39
Valued Member
Canada
60 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  01:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A higher-grade example of the Upper Canadian O'Neill(?)-issued 1833 brass sloop token (Breton 731) that I added to the collection recently. Would be exemplary if it weren't for the old but sizable scratch on the obverse...

I have recently picked up Christopher Faulkner's 2016 book "Coins are Like Songs" on the Upper Canada tokens, which has so far been a fantastic read and invaluable source of historical and numismatic information.
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first silver Wellie, a CH WE-11A2 picked up last month. Pretty turquoise and gold toning, and TPG'd at PR-50.

"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Valued Member
Canada
60 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, you don't see those very often! I only possess one of the common copper examples, WE-11A1 if I recall. Were all of the silver issues proofs?
Learn More...
United States
90183 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
135 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Blargish: Very nice, you don't see those very often! I only possess one of the common copper examples, WE-11A1 if I recall. Were all of the silver issues proofs?

I know that the TPGs are very variable on this point. Thus, out of 16 tokens «WE-11 / Silver» I have in my photo archives, 6 are certified «Proof» (All by NGC), while the other 10 are not (Including by CCCS, ICCS, NGC & PCGS).

A few examples:
Edited by ainsivalavie
08/12/2020 11:43 am
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, ainsivalavie, for that rundown...I had no clue.

Looks like Doug Robins cornered the market on silver Wellies at some point, doesn't it?
Valued Member
Canada
135 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Daltonista: Thanks, ainsivalavie, for that rundown...I had no clue.

Looks like Doug Robins cornered the market on silver Wellies at some point, doesn't it?

Indeed, there were a minimum of 9 silver tokens of the different WE-11 varieties in the Robins collection.
Valued Member
Canada
60 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info ainsivalavie.

Speaking of Doug Robins, this beauty recently arrived from the auction last month.

Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone! I finally had a chance to go through a box of old copper that was left to me by my father-in-law, and it contained 13 Canadian tokens of various descriptions. I know next to nothing about them, but I'd like to share them here. Should I post them 1 or 2 at a time, or all at once?
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, mostlysilver, one at a time would help you run up your number of postings, but would also make it easier for all of us -- you, too! -- to keep our replies connected to your specific individual tokens.

I have spoken.
Best to all~
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice and brassy, blargish! And now you've completed your set, right?
Tom
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First installment from "That Olde Box o'Copper."

This is one of two examples of what I believe is an 1812 Thomas Halliday half penny token. I am not sure of the variety.

United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the other 1812 Halliday token example that I have. Also unsure of the variety, but it's definitely different from the first.

Not the prettiest pieces, but just think of the history!

Valued Member
Canada
60 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tom, the Br-995/996 set is complete! Apart from die states, but I can't afford to get into that... However, I am still on the hunt for the associated Isle of Man (pattern/counterfeit?) token, which is proving to be much harder to come across than I anticipated.

mostlysilver, those are both "Tiffin Tokens" which were issued by the Montreal grocer Joseph Tiffin around the 1830s. These were made in imitation of an 1812 British halfpenny of Thomas Halliday, which also saw some circulation in Canada. In contrast to Halliday's original tokens, these do not display an "H" mintmark on the shoulder of the bust. There are other, much cruder, imitations that were subsequently struck in both copper and brass.

Comprehensively catalogued by Eugene Courteau, the first is listed as C-22. I can't pinpoint what the 2nd variety is; however, both seem to be relatively common.

Page: of 39 Previous TopicReplies: 578 / Views: 53,909Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05