Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Canadian Tokens

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 592 / Views: 55,034Next Topic
Page: of 40
Valued Member
Canada
468 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  01:35 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MOSTLYSILVER - Imagine you're back in the days when these tokens circulated. You're canoeing back to Georgian Bay after selling your trapped furs. A pouch ? ...300 pennies and half-pennies, heavy pouch, ha, might fall over if I tie it to my belt... if the canoe turns over in the rapids, byebye.... thieves might steal it, very noisy jingling going on there...I might lose it chopping wood, or while on a portage..one night it hits you...punch a hole, run a piece of rawhide, the original money belt, coins lay flat against the body, no one knows, it's "at hand", and you can string a lot. And if the canoe tips, swim like heck !
I've read that it was used by the earlier voyageurs, back to the early days of the French in North America, 1535-1760 which extended up to Hudson Bay (and down the Mississippi).
Valued Member
Canada
68 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice Breton 880 Tom! I have an affinity for Canadian tokens that are die linked with products from across the Atlantic (eg. Breton 996). VF seems pretty reasonable; for reference I post below the example from the recent Robins sale.

Mostlysilver, looking at your 1850 Bank of Upper Canada Halfpenny that has "seen better days", I'm wondering if it is actually a contemporary cast counterfeit. Tough to gauge from the photo, but the pitted surface seems more aligned with that process rather than environmental damage, although I am far from an expert in the matter. Maybe someone more knowledgable can confirm this, since if it is cast counterfeit that would make it a very interesting piece!
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  11:16 am  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of weeks ago, Great Collections offered some certified tokens. There were some fairly nice / scarce examples available. I was able to acquire these two Nova Scotia pieces:

NS-7A in AU55

NS-23A2 in AU53

Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whoa! Both are gorgeous pickups...and I'm only mildly envious, as that George III piece would be a nice upgrade for my Davis/Withers group.
"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Valued Member
Canada
68 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Recently grabbed a few nice Ships Colonies & Commerce tokens, along with my first example of the Rebellion Sou!

Breton 716 (LC-4A2) "Rebellion Sou"

Lees 6

Lees 7

Lees 35

Lees 40
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Not a series I'm familiar with, blargish, but it looks like it must be pretty difficult to tell the difference between the "normal" and the doubled mintmark, no?
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually quite easy to tell the single vs. double H. If you see the the H that looks stamped into the bow waves as shown on Lees 35 + 40 pictured above then it will always be a double H variety with the other H in between the two parallel lines just below and to the right. On worn examples the H between the lines (this is actually the 1st H) tends to disappear.
Valued Member
Canada
68 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As pointed out by 1960NYGiants it's pretty easy to spot the difference between the Single H and Double H groups (ie. Lees 22-33 and Lees 34-46 respectively). Both were issued by the Heaton Mint, who were responsible for Lees 9-46 as a whole. I post some close-up images below :

Single H (in exergue lines)

Double H (in waves and in exergue lines)

Individual varieties for these groups can be narrowed down with relative ease by variety of ampersand, border beads, font style, etc.

The group that's a real nightmare to tell apart is the No H "Double Guy Group" (Lees 14 to 22) where you have a bunch of reverses that appear nearly identical and, in some instances, vary only by tiny differences in letter alignment!
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Okay, now I get it. I had to look at my Charlton (p. 33) to nail this down. My bad...you'll notice that in my first response to your tokens, blargish, I mentioned the normal mm and the "doubled" mm. That's "doubled" with a "d" on each end, so I wasn't looking for a double (i.e., duplicate) mintmark. Your comment, 1960NYGiants, began to clarify it for me.

Looks like it's not enough to just buy the book before the coin. You also have to read the book even when you don't collect the coin!

BTW, the flowcharts provided in Charlton for this series are fabulous. Something like that would be very helpful in distinguishing between and among "varieties" within some of the types of tokens I collect, as catalogued by Withers (1999) for the 1811-20 coppers, and by Dalton for the silver tokens.
Valued Member
Canada
68 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy to finally get my hands on an original issue 1820 Bust and Harp. Likely the closest I will ever get to the 1825 or 1820/5 varieties!

Courteau-23, LC-60-23 (previously LC-60B)

That obverse die sure had seen better days..

And regarding your comment on the flowchart Tom, a couple other series in the Charlton book could benefit from that treatment, namely the Bust and Harps and the Tiffins. Such a thing already exists for the Bust and Harps on coinsandcanada.com
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Happy to finally get my hands on an original issue 1820 Bust and Harp.
Very nice!
Valued Member
Canada
68 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2020  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And one more because why not?

Breton 1012, Courteau 23, LC-60-23

An earlier die state than the previous piece.
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2020  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And one more because why not? Breton 1012, Courteau 23, LC-60-23
Excellent!
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My latest addition: NS-17A1 PCGS MS63 finest graded by PCGS.

Page: of 40 Previous TopicReplies: 592 / Views: 55,034Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05