Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Canadian Tokens

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 607 / Views: 56,299Next Topic
Page: of 41
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3243 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2020  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You never cease to amaze me, Gene .. were the 1960 Giants really that good?
Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2020  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1960 Giants were a so-so team went 6-4-2. 1960 was sandwiched by Championship games in 59 + 61 which they lost.

So why am I 1960NYGiants? 1960 is my birth year. NY Giants are my favorite pro sports team. Dad used to tell me that I learned my numbers watching the Giants.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3243 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2020  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, you probably learned the number zero first.
Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2020  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My latest addition: NS-17A1 PCGS MS63 finest graded by PCGS.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2458 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2020  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
could resist the planchet defect on this Barry

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money" ™
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  01:52 am  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wade, that's fascinating! Looks like it would break in two with just a little pressure, like a stale cookie. And as for the reverse, I'm imagining some sort of tiny termite burrowing into the copper around the top of the foremast.

Just wow.
"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
could resist the planchet defect on this Barry
Excellent!
Valued Member
Canada
79 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some recent Bust and Harp pickups. Been checking off a bunch of varieties in this series as of late.

Courteau (Co) 14, R6, VF

Co 17, R1, UNC (apparently from the St. Lawrence River hoard)

Co 3, R3, VF but slightly dented

Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some recent Bust and Harp pickups. Been checking off a bunch of varieties in this series as of late.
Very nice!
Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  12:34 am  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got a couple that look like that toned Co17. Please enlighten me on the "St. Lawrence River hoard".
Valued Member
Canada
79 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1960NYGiants, in the 1960s a hoard of uncirculated Tiffin and Bust and Harp Tokens were discovered at the bottom of the Assumption River (near the St. Lawrence river) in Quebec. These tokens are easy to identify visually as most were cleaned in a distinctive way to remove the 130 years or so of river crud that had built up on the surfaces.

They appear in some auctions here and there, usually described as pieces from the "river hoard" in "as struck" condition. From my viewing of past auction listings, it seems that the river hoard contained the following Bust and Harp varieties:

Co 3, 15, 16, 17

These all share a common obverse and are of crude design; it may be that they were among the last Bust and Harps produced. Such gives credit to the notion that each "group" of Bust and Harp tokens (based on workmanship of the obverse) were struck independently at different times.
Valued Member
Canada
140 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1960NYGiants, in the 1960s a hoard of uncirculated Tiffin and Bust and Harp Tokens were discovered at the bottom of the Assumption River (near the St. Lawrence river) in Quebec.

We talked about it briefly on NumiCanada a few months ago (Sorry, it's only en français):

https://numicanada.com/forum/viewto...f=13&t=32385

Edited by ainsivalavie
10/29/2020 3:53 pm
Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information. Here are my examples:
Top one is LC48C2 - Co3, bottom left is LC60E1 - Co3BH, bottom right is LC60E2 - Co17BH.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2458 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
seller's pics

this series is deceivingly under graded. waiting to see it in hand but easily MS60, perhaps 62/63

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2458 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  08:33 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first Welly, with a rare clip

Page: of 41 Previous TopicReplies: 607 / Views: 56,299Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.18 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05