Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Canadian Tokens

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 649 / Views: 60,328Next Topic
Page: of 44
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2529 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this one's not mine, and I not the bidder/buyer, but it sure is nice to see it getting a decent price

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1857-PROVIN...AOSwunJf5yhs
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money" ™
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

No clue here as to what the right price might be for that token, Wade, but I do believe that among numismatists and exonumismaniacs alike the technical term for it would be "Gorgeous."
"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Valued Member
Canada
150 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  12:11 am  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wade: this one's not mine, and I not the bidder/buyer, but it sure is nice to see it getting a decent price

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1857-PROVIN...AOSwunJf5yhs

Quote:
Daltonista: No clue here as to what the right price might be for that token, Wade, but I do believe that among numismatists and exonumismaniacs alike the technical term for it would be "Gorgeous.

To the best of my knowledge and according to my records, the last 1 Penny 1857 (PC-6D) certified by PCGS «MS-65 BN» to have sold was in April 2016 and it had obtained about $480 ( PCGS #33375554 / Courteau #275).

But personally, from the photos(I know it can be very misleading), I prefer the one currently on sale, even though it is a very common variety (Courteau #290).
Edited by ainsivalavie
01/12/2021 12:12 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2529 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figured my 2500th post better be in the tokens forum,

while not exceptionally pretty this 1832 over 1382 is my most recent addition.

early on when I started collecting I had an AU version but replaced it with an MS65 example... only to find out the MS65 was the 1832 over 1882

had already sold the original before I noticed

Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few on their way back from PCGS. Sent them in back in early October.

Valued Member
Canada
150 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  09:01 am  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1960NYGiants:
Here are a few on their way back from PCGS. Sent them in back in early October.

@1960NYGiants:
It's a very nice lot.

The PC-6B1 tokens of +/- uncirculated grade are really uncommon (Especially the Courteau #234).

Some are misidentified by the TPG, but not yours

I think this one was in the Robins collection uncertified.
Edited by ainsivalavie
01/21/2021 09:36 am
Learn More...
Canada
9539 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I figured my 2500th post better be in the tokens forum,

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3400 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, to the pontiff from the mysterious East (at least to us in the T.O. area). According to your name/icon, you are nearing 9500 posts.
Edited by okiecoiner
01/21/2021 4:12 pm
Valued Member
Canada
99 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wade, is that counterfeit the variety that develops the drop-shaped die flaw underneath the nose?

Valued Member
Canada
499 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  01:01 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
War is imminent ! Blargish's avatar (US flag PEI token) just unleashed a broadside at my ship !

Couldn't pass it up. PE10-32, does anyone have a ship salvage operation ?

Wade's thistle token is NS-3C1, the flaw under the nose appears on 3C2, 3D1, 3D2.
Edited by TerryT
01/31/2021 01:21 am
Learn More...
United States
95662 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3400 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was it used as a button? Many old coins were!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2529 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  11:00 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my 1832/1382 is actually a C2, very early state of the die chip and not visible on the photo.
Valued Member
Canada
99 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the clarification TerryT and Wade.

TerryT, that blast to the hull may have done the job! As I'm sure I have said before, I cannot recommend Christopher Faulkner's book Imperial Designs enough for those that are interested in the series, and colonial tokens in general. That book is a treasure trove of numismatic and historical information that reaches far beyond the Ships series and PEI.

As for that specific variety (PE-10-32), whenever I come across that characteristic die flaw projecting off the right of the unfurled mizzen (rear) sail, I'm always hoping to see the round knob ampersand on the other side (PE-10-33). That variety is pretty rare and fetches a nice premium; you can still come across unattributed examples once in a blue moon!
Valued Member
Canada
99 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bouquet sou pickup. Breton 684, LC-41A1. I've heard this referred to as the "Montreal Sou" and Charlton also indicates that it was struck in Montreal, but I've not been able to find any other references to its origin. Does anyone familiar with the series know of any examples that are struck over other tokens, as Breton 674's (LC-40, Jean Marie Arnault's Sou) often are? Any further information regarding LC-41's would be appreciated.

Also saw the following UC-8A2 show up unattributed (variety-wise) on eBay. Not something you see every day! Hoped I was the only one that spotted it, but apparently not even close!
Page: of 44 Previous TopicReplies: 649 / Views: 60,328Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05