Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Canadian Tokens

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 770 / Views: 74,128Next Topic
Page: of 52
Valued Member
Canada
147 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whoops haha you're right 1960NYGiants. I think I'm just seeing the undertype and confusing it for something else!

And your final comment makes a lot of sense! Thank you
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  12:22 am  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This "Field Marshal Wellington" piece is a very recent upgrade for the Anglo-Canadian section of my British tokens collection...arrived just yesterday. It's struck over the halfpenny version of that Bristol farthing token I posted on 09/12/21, above.

Withers 1498; Davis 89; Breton 972; Charlton WE-2B2 or -2B3, depending on flan thickness.

With the exception of the unobtainable WE-2C's. I've got the complete Field Marshal series, and here's the best-looking of them...although I'm not a fan of the "bolder" legends. This one looks to have been struck on a virgin flan, which (according to Withers) is encountered less frequently.

Withers 1497a; Davis 88; Breton 971; Charlton WE-2A1.

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Edited by daltonista
09/30/2021 12:23 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2602 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  09:52 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
second is showing evidence of an over-strike

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Learn More...
United States
106601 Posts
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
second is showing evidence of an over-strike
Right you are, Wade, and thanks for catching that.
I've got to stop posting these things at 1:00 in the morning!

Best to all ~
Tom

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Valued Member
Canada
147 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my own WE-2B, which is nowhere near as nice as yours!

Another interesting thing with these is that the reverse appears to be that of WE-1 but with laurel leaves stamped over the 1813 date in the exergue. The tops of the original date poke through the leaves.
Learn More...
United States
106601 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's my own WE-2B, which is nowhere near as nice as yours!
Still nice.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2602 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a couple of counterfeits,

I've handled both, the 'brass' 1854 wouldn't fool many, but the 1852 is a little sneakier.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384425859142

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384425716446
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like most of his stuff is fake. Just about everyone of them has weird looking surfaces.
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It was interesting to watch the spirited live-auction bidding inspired by this common one-penny Irish merchant's token at The Canadian Numismatics Company's "Criterion V" sale last night. The grocer (per Davis) in question, one Edward Bewley of Dublin, issued his pennies in 1816 and used them not only as advertising for his business but to celebrate, or perhaps capitalize on, the widespread respect for and adulation of the Dublin-born Wellington and his many military victories, including his defeat of Napoleon's forces at Waterloo in 1815. The use of the 1814 date below Wellington's effigy is taken as a commemoration of Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley's elevation to the Dukedom, which was newly created especially for him and bestowed upon him in May of that year.

The designation as "Bowman 12" identifies this piece as a "Borderline token," so it's believed to have circulated in Canada, like a couple of dozen other Irish tokens and Wellington types, either contemporaneous with or a bit later than its 1816 issue date. That conjecture seems well-supported by the interest shown in it last night, in the middle of this week's five-session auction of 1,548 lots of Canadian and world coins, tokens, and paper money.

In any event, last night's bidding opened at CDN $25 and the token worked its way slowly through the small bid increments as mail, online, phone, and live bidders ran it up to the final hammer price of CAD $161. While I'm not a c/m collector, it seemed pretty obvious that all the value in this token resides in its countermarks -- OHP and NHV, to all appearances -- as without them its underlying condition puts it closer to a $5 filler. My own example (below) is a solid gVF in my estimation, and I acquired it for about 15 perhaps ten years ago.

Dublin: Withers 1810, Davis 10 (34mm, 16g.)

The countermarks hold the key to this mystery, I think. Does anyone here know what they mean? Why would the auction house make note of the OHP c/m but not the NHV? Could this be some sort of mob mentality in action -- auction fever? -- or are the c/m's truly collectible for some content-related significance?

Just to cast a wider net, I've cross-posted this from the Countermarks forum. where I hope someone recognizes these c/m's and why they're such a value multiplier for this otherwise ho-hum Hiberno-Canadian token.

Best to all!
Tom

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2602 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well here's something you don't see everyday...

raviloli / dumplimg crimper on ebay

Learn More...
United States
106601 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
171 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  11:07 am  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wade: well here's something you don't see everyday...

raviloli / dumplimg crimper on ebay

I don't own it, but last year there was a similar item for sale on eBay that I found quite unusual (Bank of Upper Canada 1/2 Penny 1854).

Sorry if my English is not perfect, I'm still learning...
Edited by ainsivalavie
12/01/2021 11:07 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2602 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always enjoy seeing what people do with coins (other than spend or collect).

Here's a little project I did for a friend. While not as functional as a pasta roller it did have the desired effect

Valued Member
Canada
426 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's actually beautiful! Well done
There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Page: of 52 Previous TopicReplies: 770 / Views: 74,128Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: