Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Canadian Tokens

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 792 / Views: 76,429Next Topic
Page: of 53
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4885 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That"s cool !
Learn More...
United States
108132 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a little project I did for a friend. While not as functional as a pasta roller it did have the desired effect
Impressive!
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Cool indeed, Wade, but it must have involved a lot of heat!

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2612 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  07:26 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
another 'dont see it everyday' novelty

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Learn More...
United States
108132 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
259 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Wade
I guess theres possibly another out there with a pair of dragon slayers on it...you'll have to keep your eyes open for that one too lol
Valued Member
Netherlands
55 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2021  06:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gebs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one came in this week.

Not sure which one it is. First I thought PE-10-27
But after a closer look I think PE-10-30.

What do you think

Valued Member
Canada
259 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Gebs
Good looking token...I put it through the step by step id on CaC and it indicates PE-10-27..I'm always trying to see all the subtle differences in the many varieties of this token that make them a fascinating study piece.
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2021  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like PE-10-30, no hump on R in Commerce and full center stroke of last E in commerce.

edit to add: oops, @blargish is right (see below), I missed the blunt tail R. Sorry.
Edited by 1960NYGiants
12/13/2021 5:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked this one up at a local show today. Brunk has a reference to I B but does not mention QUEBEC. Copper, 7 grams, 28mm, plain edge. Does anyone have any other info about this?

Learn More...
United States
108132 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
158 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2021  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gebs, your SCC token is PE-10-28 with the blunt tail on the R of COMMERCE.

In contrast, PE-10-27 would have the characteristic obverse mizzen-sail "die-cut" that it shares with PE-10-33 (in addition to a round ampersand on the rev). PE-10-30 has a double punched first S of SHIPS that is also easy to spot.
Valued Member
Canada
158 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2021  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1960NYGiants, that's an interesting piece! An example of one of those was in the Donald Partrick sale where it was listed as a "blacksmith token" although this was likely done to draw more attention to the listing. Here is the link: https://coins.ha.com/itm/canada/can...1202-97296.s

They appear to be stamped on blank flans and are reminiscent of the CANIDA St. Amant coppers. There was apparently some merchant in Quebec whose initials were "IB". Below is an interesting example I came across of a US half-cent with an IB counterstamp over which a Devins and Bolton counterstamp has been applied. There is also MSB counterstamped on the opposite side (reverse) of the coin. https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ha...Default.aspx

Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@blargish - thanks for the links. It appears my piece and the Patrick piece are of similar or same maker. I am fortunate that the dealer I bought mine from was not aware of the Patrick piece. I paid $35 USD for it.

HA states in their description that it is unlisted in Brunk which is not entirely accurate. The I B mark is listed as Br # 20940 with no listing for the QUEBEC mark. Brunk discusses that I B may have meant Isle Barbados but later rules that out. Brunk also mentions that I B has been seen on some US Large Cents dated c.1800
Valued Member
Canada
172 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2021  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@blargish - thanks for the links. It appears my piece and the Patrick piece are of similar or same maker. I am fortunate that the dealer I bought mine from was not aware of the Patrick piece. I paid $35 USD for it.

@1960NYGiants:
Wow, at $35 you got one heck of a deal. I've known about this token for quite some time, and this one is quite rare and highly sought after.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge it has never been identified to date. However, some make a connection with the St. Amant/Canida token (See A Hoard of Canadian Coppers by McLachlan in the Canadian Antiquarian and Numismatic Journal of July 1889).

Here is an example that was present in the collection of Warren Baker:

Sorry if my English is not perfect, I'm still learning...
Edited by ainsivalavie
12/14/2021 9:19 pm
Page: of 53 Previous TopicReplies: 792 / Views: 76,429Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: