Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fun Thread--Worst Coins On Ebay, Etsy, Craigslist, And Other Buying Sites!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,426 / Views: 207,372Next Topic
Page: of 162
Pillar of the Community
United States
1923 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This nonsense with these sky-high prices would immediately stop if eBay starts charging a daily listing fee: the longer your coin is for sale, the more money you pay just to list it. The faster you sell your coin, the lower the fee. THAT would provide an incentive for people to lower their prices so they sell quickly.

That's probably the best reply I've seen so far about this problem. I quit selling on eBay years ago. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but is there no listing fee now? People don't pay to list all those damaged mangled coins for free and then eBay keeps on relisting them for free.
Around 12 years ago on ebay there was a daily average of over ten thousand coins listed in the error category. Now there's almost thirty thousand coins in that category. Not worth my time looking at mostly damaged coins anymore
Edited by jasper62
03/03/2021 8:39 pm
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Igor22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jasper72 - Yes, you are correct...no fees for listings. The higher your feedback, the more free listings. This makes it rather difficult when searching for varieties or errors. I have a slight obsessive compulsive issue when it comes to US Dimes, especially errors. Since eBay changed to free listings, I must wade thru 5 to 8 environmental damaged dark colored dimes, 2 to 4 parking lot/pavement damaged dimes, and many other damaged dimes before finding one that might be interesting. Of course because a non-collector has come across a coin they have never seen before, so it must be worth hundreds...if not thousands. And since eBay had to compete with Amazon, Letgo, Offer Up, Mercari and others by not charging listing fees, it allows the delusional non-collectors to crowd the Numismatic categories with their nonsense. The no fee listings may be great for some categories, but it really makes it bad for the actual buyers and sellers of the Numismatics hobby. And has made way for a scam outside of eBay that accounts for a good portion of the ridiculous priced common circulation coins on eBay that I come to discover a few months ago.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2238 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

The only issue I see is the extremely high price, but that isn't a violation that I know of....it's not like the seller claimed the coin was uncirculated or in MS condition.

It's a violation of the eBay terms of service as effectively, said user is SPAMMING the site with worthless items. If it were one or two coins, it would be easy to overlook, but at the moment there are 28 numismatic items which are violating their SPAM guidelines.

Doing this is harmful to the entire eBay numismatic community as it prevents legitimate sellers from having their coins seen and/or helps them get buried in the search results.
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Edited by John77
03/04/2021 12:26 am
Valued Member
United States
343 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  05:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It makes me wonder if multiple accounts that are spamming are of the same person on both ebay and etsy?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3361 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  06:35 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is against ebay policy to list any coin with a price over 2000$, if it is not graded, by an approved third party..If someone notified e\bay those listings would be removed...
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8517 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  07:20 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is against ebay policy to list any coin with a price over 2000$, if it is not graded, by an approved third party..If someone notified e\bay those listings would be removed...

Does this apply to listings from outside the USA too? I see so many (like the example below) that contravene this policy. Here's someone who's been to the shops, emptied all her change on the dining-room table, photographed every coin and stuck it on eBay for an absurd amount!

In fact, I once suggested to eBay (when they sent me a survey to complete) that everyone selling coins should be made to use the Sheldon scale of rarity, so only a coin with between 4 and 12 specimens in existence could be described as 'extremely rare'.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-197...402726689321
Edited by NumisRob
03/04/2021 07:30 am
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  07:25 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It makes me wonder if multiple accounts that are spamming are of the same person on both ebay and etsy?

Absolutely! Several of the overseas sellers are running up their numbers by having shill bidders run up the price, win the item, and then leave positive Feedback. They are usually "private" auctions so you can't see who the bidders are.

Beware of FAKE Puerto Rico coins from the Ukraine. I have reported this guy several times to eBay but they allow him to keep listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PUERTO-RIC...154350557066
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Igor22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I have reported many listings the were well over $2k and others that were very obvious fake, but nothing is done and the listing stays posted. If eBay isn't going to monitor these listings, then they should at least allow their users to weed out the bad actors....no differently than the volunteers that monitor online forums.
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Igor22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Several of the overseas sellers are running up their numbers by having shill bidders run up the price, win the item, and then leave positive Feedback. They are usually "private" auctions so you can't see who the bidders are.

I inquired as to how the value was determined to about 40 of these listings from different sellers, and only 15 replied. 6 sellers researched their coin value via Etsy from a Google search, 5 sellers seen the same coin listed on eBay with a higher price and listed their coin with a lower price, and 4 sellers based their values from a "list" they bought after watching a video or reading an online article that ultimately was selling a "list".

After more research, I found that the "List" was being sold for $5 to $60 depending on where purchased online. The "list" was titled as "Make Thousands of Dollars Selling Pocket Change Coins Online". The maker of the "List" used dozens of eBay accounts listing common low value or face value coins (Bicentennial Quarters, high Mintage year Wheat Cents, damaged coins being called an "Error" and so on) with extremely high Buy It Now prices. And later used another eBay account to buy the extremely over priced coins....just to get a screenshot of the "Sold" prices of these common coins. These screenshots were then used in the videos and online articles to prove the "List" can make you thousands of dollars selling the coins that are on the list.

The websites and videos are only active for a few days before changing the URL...for obvious reasons.
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have reported many listings the were well over $2k and others that were very obvious fake, but nothing is done and the listing stays posted. If eBay isn't going to monitor these listings, then they should at least allow their users to weed out the bad actors....no differently than the volunteers that monitor online forums.

eBay is too busy counting money from all those bogus listings to remove them.
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't listed anything on The 'Bay for a month because I am not happy with their change in sold-item payments. I am just someone who has listed stuff from my own collection, etc since 1999 and I know I think my fees are too high compared to what things actually sell for. They say you get "free listings" but I still end up with at least $30 in fees to Ebay each month. Don't forget they charge the final value fees! So while you MAY list for FREE, they still whack you. NOTHING is free...
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
REGARDING: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...=156#3373449

Can I get $$$ for this nickle I found yesterday?

Learn More...
United States
33161 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is $2,500.

LINK
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4823 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nells250... please post in focus, cropped images of both sides of the coin.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
chafemasterj - I WAS JOKING!!
Page: of 162 Previous TopicReplies: 2,426 / Views: 207,372Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05