Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Switzerland Shooting Thalers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 2,015Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2014  1:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add plonker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am not a fan of commemorative non circulating coins , however like the design of shooting thalers.I got three shooting thalers from the local coin show recently. There is this old gentleman who specialize in world crowns that I buy whenever he is in town. He said these were part of a collection he bought and they were reasonably priced compared to the eBay going prices. I trust the seller but thought I will check for second opinion here as usual. What bothers me is that there is no toning or patina after all these years , perhaps except in the Zurich thaler. The dealer said it is possible these have been lightly brushed in the past but not harshly cleaned. I don't see any dipping as far as I can tell but who knows. What do you all think ?

1872 Zurich - weigh 24.94 g

1883 Lugano - weigh 24.90g

1865 Schaffhausen - weigh 24.99 g

Edited by plonker
01/26/2014 1:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1656 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2014  02:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am greatly concerned that some of them appear proof-like, especially the Zurich piece. They were not originally made this way and it is not the result of any sort of cleaning either. There have been very high quality fakes of these going around for at least a few years now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1988 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2014  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A quick search for images of the 1872 shows a few that look fairly proof-like to me, one at Heritage. I'm no expert but if those are fakes they're awesome fakes. I see some toning near the rim of the 1883 near "tiranni" that looks pretty natural. Just an opinion from a casual observer... lovely photos.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1929 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2014  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Switzerland may not have issued proofs but KM lists specimens and I've seen some specimens in museums and some of them were proof-like. Two of them seem slightly underweight.

It might be worth sending them to a TPG for appraisal.
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2014  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add plonker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the comments , I think I will explore the TPGs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1656 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2014  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weigh is not really an issue, I have several different ones and the weight on UNC pieces seems to range as high as +/- 0.1 grams. The surface appearance is what bugs me about these.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1714 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was considering to dable into Swiss Shooting Thalers, but the prices people pay for these coins are astronomical these days!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 2,015Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: