Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Book Review: The Mint On Carson Street - By Rusty Goe

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 2,311Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
8424 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  12:03 am Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was able to pick up a copy of the extremely hard to find "Mint on Carson Street" by Rusty Goe published in 2004, for a very fair price recently! They are usually selling in the $300-600 range now it seems. My copy is a paperback version, there is also a hardcover version that was printed. This book is my second by Rusty, he is quite the Carson City historian. The other volume I have by him is "James Crawford: Master of the Mint at Carson City: A Short Full Life" published in 2007.

The Mint on Carson Street A tribute to the Carson City Mint & a guide to a complete set of "CC" Coins.

This extensive volume is 536 pages long, it has 10 chapters, an introduction, epilogue, 6 appendices, a selected bibliography and a full index. There are 100's of illustrations and photographs throughout the book. I have never seen such a complete book on the history of the Carson City mint and it's employees published anywhere. The amount of copies of original documents and letters that have been unearthed is simply a tour de force of research.

Beginning on page 217 (Chapter Six) is a breakdown of each coin minted at the Carson City Mint by date and denomination. the author begins each denominational series with a short take on the set and listings of all pertinent information i.e.:
Total mintage
Total Face value
Total ounces of silver used in manufacture
Design types
Designers
Metal composition
Actual gross weight
Actual fine silver content
Value of silver in each denomination during it's lifespan at time of mintage

Then each date is further broken down, on at least a whole page, with a photo, a condition census for PCGS and NGC coins known, and a list of notable pedigrees.

Afterwards there is a Reflections section with particular news or history written about each date and denomination.

At the end of each denomination of series, the author will make some comparisons of the Carson City coins with the other Mints coins of the same design and dates.

Mr. Goe offers, a full population report of all known certified coins to the time of publishing, sections on varieties and pricing, as well as later history of the Mint as a modern museum today.

Another interesting idea the author brings up is how to collect Carson City coins in various collection ideas, some I would have not thought of.

All in all a very well researched and thoroughly enjoyable read, and possibly one of the greatest reference books I've ever seen (and I've seen and own a lot of reference books on coins).

For those of you that have never heard of Rusty Goe, here is are two short video clips on him at the Battle Born collection auction. Rusty Goe of Southgate Coins, has assisted collectors in building some of the finest sets of CC coins in history. The Battle Born Collection sold by Stack's Bowers Auctions represented all 111 Carson City coins, each an example of a coin struck every year with the CC mint mark. Many of these coins were in the finest condition known. This video you will hear why this collection was so important.

OQVPEWOKYMc

ftnVvON43Uw

Hope you enjoyed my review of this wonderful book, and that you can acquire a copy yourself.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
02/25/2014 12:07 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4053 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Westcoin, thank you for this very informative article.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing this review westcoin.

I stumbled across this book for sale online in 2006 or so when it cost like $50 or $60, but at the time I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a book. Now I wish I would have bought it back then.

Hindsight is 20/20 though. I'm adding it to my list of ones to acquire.

-MV

Pillar of the Community
United States
8424 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep I too passed on this book at around $60-75 several times at coin shows, not due to the price, I just didn't want to carry it around the whole show, and then I always forgot to pick it up at the end of the show, then they seemed to disappear from all the supply and book dealer inventories. I've been keeping an eye out for this out of print book for awhile now. The" James Crawford: Master of the mint" is also a very nice reference - though no where as in-depth on the coinage, is available at very attractive pricing on Amazon, it is also a huge book, more like a phone book sized hard cover. I believe I only had to pay around $35.00 for my copy new. I see they are now $21 soft back and $32 for the hardbound copy now on Amazon. That is quite a deal for a book of quality from Rusty Goe.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21415 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's one on eBay right now for $227.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...arson+Street
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 2,311Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05