Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Characteristics Of MS? - Proof Like? - DMPL?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2014  8:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1881 S Morgan - MS? - Proof Like? - DMPL?

What are the characteristics between the 3 areas of..

MS
Proof Like
DMPL

Sure hope my Morgan is the later.

Are pictures required to explain the general characteristics?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3433 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2014  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS is simply uncirculated. The luster is complete and, obviously, no wear. PL and DMPL coins are MS coins that were (generally speaking) struck early on in the production life of the die. The dies were prepared extremely well and gave excellent strikes. PL will reflect text in the fields a certain distance and DMPL reflects further. I can not remember the distances, but 2 inches and 5 inches seems to sound close.

And YES, pics are needed to say anything about a coins condition.
Edited by smokeriderdon
02/27/2014 10:52 pm
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2014  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The acceptable parameters for Prooflike and DMPL Morgans are: Field reflectivity such that you can easily read 12pt newspaper type at a distance of 4" minimum, at all points in the fields of both sides, for PL and a minimum of 6" (that's tightening these days) for DMPL. If you have one of these, you know it. A DMPL Morgan is blinding, and reflected direct light will hurt your eyes to look. You can truly shave in such a coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3433 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2014  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the clarification Dave. I figured someone would correct me on that part. :)
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2014  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's kind of a moving target, man - the TPG's have tightened up that standard while you and I have been busy posting here at CCF.

But, as far as I know, 12pt black type on white background is the closest thing to a "standard" for measuring reflectivity.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05