Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is Your Biggest Coin Collecting Pet Peeve?

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2014  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SmallTownCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With me being younger I often have sellers trying to take advantage of me thinking I have no knowledge of coins. When I counter with reasonable offers they usually blow me off saying I am "insulting" them.
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2014  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoshHellcat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh and the stuff people write on 2x2s: RARE! KAY DATE! GENUINE! HIGH GRADE! OMG SO AMAZING! MS+++++++++++++++++++++++++!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8028 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2014  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Small Town,

I am a YN as well and I have not ever had a problem with this. In fact many dealers are more than happy to give me a discount.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
775 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2014  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Saw a coin on eBay last year. Listing stated that it came with an old collector's ticket (a small paper disc traditionally used to record details about a coin) linking it back to a major coin dealer in 1996.

Recently the coin was re-listed. So I asked the seller if there were any details about earlier owners. Nope.

Another provenance link lost forever. Which may not be of interest to most people, but how difficult is it to hold on to a piece of paper? Particularly one that increases the value of a coin (and therefore price you could get) for collectors like me.

Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arael to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dealers who clearly don't care about the historic attributes of coin collecting and pretty much deal exclusively in bullion and modern commemoratives who are just essentially speculating. It's irritating to see this great hobby turned into another way that people try to get rich quick, although I really only see this at the shows.
Valued Member
Canada
132 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DouglasFir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm let's see

1. Overpriced coins commonly available
2. Dishonest dealers, there's a lot around here
3. Rude bank employees
4. Banks that require accounts to buy or exchange coins
5. Service charges on rolled coins
6. Lack of dealers in my area
7. Lack of others interested in the hobby in my area

There's way more I enjoy about the hobby though, I make the best of it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
847 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ksammut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get very irritated when people call [American] Cents, "pennies"!
Young Numismatist - You are welcome to visit and subscribe to my vlog/blog - http://numismaticswithkenny.com
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BobAlmighty125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1- the fact that there are very few world-coin dealers in the whole dang area code
2- the fact that my wallet is too thin and always seems to be much much thinner when I leave one of the rarities that is an Ohioan foreign-coin shop.
Valued Member
Canada
55 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2014  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orlando di Lasso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My biggest pet peeve is people selling way overpriced coins. A guy wanted $100 for an old American penny. He started swearing at me over Facebook when I didn't return his phone call. Another guy had a bunch of unsorted coins and a few proof sets and wanted $1,100. None of them were graded and none were uncirculated except for a 1967 Canadian proof set. It's insane to ask people to pay above retail prices when they're buying a sack of unsorted, ungraded coins in a coffee shop.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2014  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add baldy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Non-collecting friends who look at you like you're crazy when you tell them you spent $50 on a nickel. They just don't get it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6365 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2014  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And they go and spend $500 on a new phone that will be worth $200 a month later.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1531 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2014  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cruisinfusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Non-collecting friends who look at you like you're crazy when you tell them you spent $50 on a nickel. They just don't get it.

Quote:
And they go and spend $500 on a new phone that will be worth $200 a month later.

These are possibly the two most relatable posts I've seen on this thread. Being a YN halfway through High school, explaining the value of coins to my friends is no small task.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2367 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2014  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wheatchaser140 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The thing that annoys me most is the cardboard dust inside a 2x2 that you just stapled the coin in!

Quote:
In fact many dealers are more than happy to give me a discount.

As a YN I can really relate to this. The people at my LCS always give me so much money off from the Grey Sheet price. I don't even know how they stay in business with me shopping there! Sometimes I just look at them when they say the price, not really believing what I just heard.
Italy
26 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2014  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harpagon Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

# The unscrupulous nature of some sellers, often amateurs frustrated at not selling or making a decent markup and trying to flog off their coins at ridiculous prices and actually convincing themselves that they are that valuable.

# Collectors who want to buy at their price, and tell you that you're overpriced. Read my piece on the different types of coin collectors on my site. It's funny!

# The Sheldon scale of grading that psychologically conditions collectors to value according to the higher number. This is highly disputable but there is a strong basis for the psychological conditioning when numbers are used to represent a grade.

I'll continue later...

Pillar of the Community
United States
4897 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2014  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The people at my LCS always give me so much money off from the Grey Sheet price. I don't even know how they stay in business with me shopping there!

It is simple they buy larger collections at way way WAY below grey.

It makes sense to give you a "deal".....keeps you coming back.....the long con business model.....
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05