Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Article On Banknote Security Features

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,616Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Thailand
1509 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2014  06:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thai-vic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just came across this. Very interesting and I would love to know what a 'sleeper feature' looks like.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/b5939538-....html#slide5
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3691 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2014  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL, I always thought that the queen´s face on the new Canada $20 doesn´t look right.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add currencyden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most covert banknote security features are not publicized to keep counterfeiters at bay. Security features fall into these classifications:
Level 1 - Easily discerned by public users of the currency. The thought being to catch fakes as they are spent.
Level 2a - Detectable by tellers and many large venue events. An example would be UV inks. Collectors check such things, but hardly anyone carries a UV light to check bank notes "in the field". The thought being to catch notes when the fake is first run through a bank. Attempting to pass the counterfeit using machines such as a vending machine is also thwarted.
Level 2b - Detectable by counterfeit detecting machines and counting machines. These often have magnetic features, say on the security thread.
Level 3 - Detectable only by the central bank / monetary authority and security printer.

MagText is a DeLaRue trade marked covert feature. I is invisible encrypted features identified by magnetic detectors to recover the signal from the security thread. The recovered signal is decrypted using algorithms to allow the tiny signal to be recognized with low signal-to-noise ratios.

Neomag is a SICPA trade marked covert feature. It is machine readable intaglio ink system by special magnetic pigments which pass infrared rays and retain their color. Here's a test viewed with regular light & IR light.

There are 200+ patented security features annotated, most with demonstration images in the book I just published, "Security Features of Modern Banknotes
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11025 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting info, currencyden!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58111 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good stuff, thanks.
Learn More...
United States
100600 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1319 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
& just 1 of the many reasons I enjoy collecting currency. Even the older series's security features are fun to explore. In fact, I have seen some bogus notes printed for the 2004 upgraded Journey $20 (& other denominations). One thing that I found was surprising is that the fake's serial number font was off/all wrong. Prefixes were incorrect & often a couple fakes will have the same # (I guess just copies meant to fool a few people at a time). You would think after they went to all the trouble of duplicating most of the design elements, they'd try a bit harder to get the SN right (a rather old simplistic security feature).
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11025 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
just 1 of the many reasons I enjoy collecting currency. Even the older series's security features are fun to explore.

Amen! it's very interesting to see how technology has progressed over the years as governments try to stay ahead of the counterfeiters.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add currencyden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, what security features are the most used?
1 SICPA Spark - It appears on at least 350 banknotes or about 25% of ALL banknotes.

2 Crane Motion/Rapid/Surface on at least 150 Banknotes or about 11 % of ALL banknotes.

3 G&D Rolling Star appears on 50 banknotes or about 4% of ALL banknotes.

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,616Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05