Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Checks

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17
Pillar of the Community
United States
519 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2016  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yakimaboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks techwriter, I appreciate the link.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2016  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple new ones for my collection.
== nice Oklahoma 'territorial' and an interesting story.

== history link:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/36219
==
== of course another radar number; and was cleared via the Henry Elling bank whose checks I posted earlier
==

== interesting history reading about Isdell
http://archiveswest.orbiscascade.or...etrieve.aspx
==
Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2016  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple newly arrived treasures:
==

==

==
Quite interesting history link for R.P. Grant.
http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.a...es.jefferson
==
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2016  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love those old company checks.

You've got a really nice collection!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10016 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2016  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice checks. $2k was a lot of money back in 1883!
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2016  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple unissued drafts I acquired this summer. Fun stuff! The piece from Adams & Co. was printed at the height of the California Gold Rush.

Valued Member
99 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2016  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add marccollection to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there,

I try to search good website for create a new pdf catalog for my old checks Heritage with more 400 items.

I hope to find references and values, so please if you have links : thank you so much.

Marc
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17545 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2016  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are great, I just have to make sure I don't like them too much, I have too many things being collected right now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2016  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

These could certainly be another item on the collection list. Great looking artwork.
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2017  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was in Central Oregon last week and stopped by the Bowman Museum in Prineville, housed in what used to be the old Prineville National Bank. They had some bank checks on display picturing the building, which hasn't changed much in the last century. Inside the teller windows and offices remain much the same. The vault is open to walk in and contains the old safe deposit boxes and an impressive safe. Fun stuff!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2017  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice story and pics, thanks GregAlex.
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2017  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to add something to this topic that's not quite a check, but looks much like one. This is actually a promissory note; a short term loan with an agreement to pay on a set date.

This note was issued on Feb. 19, 1848, but what caught my eye when I found this amongst a dealer box of various checks was the notation at one end: "First day June / Backersville / California." The note is dated just a month after gold was discovered at Sutter's Mill -- but that news didn't hit the papers until March. This really got me curious...

Thanks to a lot of research help on a couple other forums, we were able to piece together this story:

Like many other farmers back East, Francis D. Philbrook (who signed the note) caught gold fever after hearing about the discovery of gold in California. He and some 50 other Maine men pooled their money and bought shares in the ship Cantero. Most of them were passengers when the ship left in late 1849 to sail around the Horn, arriving in California in April 1850.

Philbrook first tried his luck around the gold camp of Bakersville and must have sent word home of his whereabouts, which was noted (albeit misspelled) on the promissory note. (Bakersville was eventually forced to change it's name to Watersford, to avoid confusion with mail going to Bakersfield, further south.)

Apparently Philbrook gave up on mining after a year or so without any luck and resettled about 170 miles north in Butte County, where he borrowed money and tried to start a ranch. And that's where his luck ran out. He died there in 1852, leaving behind a wife and six children back in Maine. The back of the promissory note is blank and there's no indication that the $13.50 Philbrook owed to David M. was ever paid.

That's a lot of history to mine from a little piece of paper and well worth the $8 I spent on it!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2017  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
update for the Bank of Clayton post above;

Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2017  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
update for the Boggs post above;

Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2017  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
update for the Page Seed Company post above.

Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.18 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05