Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ancient Coin - Antoninianus

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2014  11:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Last of the coins I bought today.

It has some green on it, but I wanted one of this ruler.
I will try to treat some of these coins in the coming days.

Antoninianus
2.9 grams

Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2014  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no expert, but I'm not seeing any bronze disease on this one. It's usually a brighter color and will flake or powder off. That appears to me to just be the patina which shouldn't be taken off. I like the portrait.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16671 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2014  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the face this piece appears to be a nice enough coin, but considering at it's value in the overall scene of ancient coins, I wouldn't feel personally highly motivated to do much to it; just keep it the way it is.

Just let it take it's place in album page for the 2x2 it is currently in.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1723 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2014  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks to be even more interesting than just a standard Postumus coin as it would appear to be one that was struck in the name of Postumus by Aureolus.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2014  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it's a posthumous Postumus?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4208 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2014  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought was Aureolus too, definitely struck in Milan. The story is a good one - Postumus had the Gallic empire, usurped from Rome, and Aureolus was a reknowned general (of sorts) for the Emperors in Rome. He made some 'blunders' and knew that soon his head would be on a pike, so he siezed Milan (Mediolanum), hoping to save his own skin by holding the Roman legion sent after him at the walls. Knowing he could not break the siege alone, he tried to enlist the help of Postumus by issuing coinage depicting him from the mint as the siege raged. No help ever came.

Reverse is FIDES EQVIT (loyal cavalry, as Aureolus commanded them). You can tell its Aureolus' issue due to the bust (the celators at Milan had only ever cut the very different imperial bust, so when they captured Postumus' likeness, they did it a bit differently) and due to the legend - most coinage depicting Postumus and with EQVIT in the legend comes from Aureolus' revolt (there may be some regular issues).

Also, coins issued by Aureolus are significantly more valuable. Get that green encrustation off, and you'd have a really good example of the bust.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2014  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hu....interesting story...and coin.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05