Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is It A Bird?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2014  5:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
No idea what this is, so any suggestions as to where to look would be gratefully received...
It is about the size of an A4

Sorry about the pics

Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2014  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2014  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ron, that helps :) I have seen one like this before, but can't think where.....
Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2014  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seem stuff that looks similar but can't put my finger on it. I check Sear later and let you know if I come up with anything.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3116 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2014  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thinking that I am seeing a griffin on the 'other' side which says Sikyon to me.
In which case yes I think it is a bird. My failing memory says dove.
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2014  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might just be seeing things but the obverse sort of looks like a flower, like Rhodes would have on their coins. It looks a little off but it's a thought.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3116 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2014  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had thought of Rhodes too. But after looking at the other side ( rotate clockwise around 30 degrees )
Head of bird, body of lion and serpent for tail.
A griffon almost certainly.

Correction head of lion body of 'something' and a serpent for tail.
I am dining out on Main St Hyannis right now and am easily confused !
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
08/10/2014 9:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2014  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

is it silver pish?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2014  05:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am assuming it is bronze chrs.
FR well spotted, I was concentrating on the bird like thing. Having said that, I am no further on! Will keep on hunting. Thanks for all the observations guys.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1245 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2014  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks Celtic to me PP. Any chance of size and weight?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2014  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, it is part of a lot.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2014  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to upload a picture of the lot but when I click on the Browse button it does nothing. I think I broke it :(

The coin is about the size of an AE4.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2014  05:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is taken from the USB microscope. Under the normal scope it looks as though somebody might be riding a cow?
11-12 mm and 0.75g
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1000 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2014  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oh my florin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definetely not Macedonian tho I have seen a number of the Philip II celtic imitations and I was reminded of them when I saw the first picture so possibly celtic in origin.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2014  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be silver, poor quality. Now some of the crud has come off it has lost some detail. I will finish cleaning and take some photos.
It does remind me of some of the Sikyon coins, but all their doves look like doves, where as mine looks more like a duck.

The "griffon" is also strange. Looking at it one way, foreleg raised, but it does not look in proportion. Turn it slightly, the foreleg looks like a horse head complete with bridle with a rider of some sort on its back. Might well be an imitation.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05