Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Still Not Got A 100% ID On This One So Help Needed Please.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1263 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2014  6:54 pm Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sent a few pics around but still failed to nail this one, so any help would be great, thanks!

22mm 8.71gr.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1263 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2014  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
same pics but not so close, if it helps... wow... I never knew my thumb looked so wrinkly....

Learn More...
United States
22904 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2014  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like Macrinius to me.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1263 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2014  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ron, any reference on that at all for me to look up please?
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2014  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse looks similar to "Ephesos Aufhauser 11, 291" from wildwinds. Not exactly the same but the reverse description could give you some keywords to use in your search.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1263 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2014  09:37 am  Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help with this one but still can't find it... might end up in the tray of despair..
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2014  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll give you 99p for it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3125 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2014  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thinking the reverse reads CO L BER with Poseidon holding a Hippocamp ?

The portrait does not really look like Sept Severus but sometimes his bust can look very like Pertinax on some Colonial issues

Try researching Berytos
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United States
3125 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2014  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMP M OP SE MACRINO AVG

I believe this is a fit for the obverse legend.
echizento appears to have the right emperor

Colonial issue of Macrinus from Berytos
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
09/06/2014 3:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2014  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't find another image on the net.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2398 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2014  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
COL BER would be Berytus or Beirut. The reverse appears to be Poseidon holding a dolphin in his right hand and a trident in his left.

There are examples similar for Antoninus Pius and other emperors, but I'm not sure who this is.

http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/imp...Default.aspx

I hope this helps narrow the search.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1263 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2014  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the input but still can't find anything close to a match. I think Ron and Furius have the emperor but the recording of this seems very illusive. I would very much like to nail this one if anyone else can help....
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2014  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kev, you might have to start hunting through reference books, and it if it is unpublished.....?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1263 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2014  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am happy that Paul has got the reverse type 100 percent and I am going through the limited resources that I have PP. If anything crops up while your searching through for other coins please let me know!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05