Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Plastic Coins - Are They The Future?

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Learn More...
United States
84101 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2014  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What was the last thing you bought with only pennies and nickels?
A gumball... At K-Mart... in 1979.

Quote:
I can't help thinking that plastics are made from petroleum...
Not all, we do have bioplastics.

Quote:
At one time bioplastics were too expensive for consideration as a replacement for petroleum-based plastics. The lower temperatures needed to process bioplastics and the more stable supply of biomass combined with the increasing cost of crude oil make bioplastics' prices [37] more competitive with regular plastics.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1474 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2014  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

tkbslc wrote:

Tax on 1 dollar worth of stuff? Mabey one Nickel and 3 pennies, (cents)?

I guess in this thinking the Gov't would have to increase tax rates because no one would have the denominations to pay the current ones.

Pillar of the Community
1325 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2014  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shadz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
grr, how did I miss the new page?

Quote:
I can't help thinking that plastics are made from petroleum...

Plastics are made from plant and animal by products, so that is why there is plastic made from corn now, not just dead dinosaurs. unless exposed to the sun for prolonged periods of time a plastic coin could last as long s the poker chips you mention. You could also even mold them in such a way where the image cannot "wear off" by having it run through the coin to a depth of half both ways. When half the coin is worn away, you jsut recycle it. People already use plastic money for most things, so those who don't want coins, just need not use the plastic ones and keep using theyr plastic that they have been for the past half century.

Quote:

Newspaper yesterday morning. Will do it again Wednesday morning. Prior to that I had bought a cookie with only pennies. Had to pay tax on a FREE donut at Kripsy Kreme (free = 0 *ANYthing =0?) of 5 cents, one nickel and one penny. Lottery tickets, The number of things I can buy with a roll or two of either nickel or cent is very long indeed. You jsut have to learn how to treat it as money, and soon the places you spend it at will also learn that they are money, not just things to weigh down the cash drawer.

Quote:
Plastic does not last longer than metal, nor is it more recyclable, nor is it an infinite resource. Not sure what you mean, there.

Subject plastic and metal discs to the same constant environment that a coin must go through. Subject both the being out in the rain. Plastic is FREE to any recyclers, actually this day and age of bass ackwards politics, you PAY the recycling places to GIVE them your materials so they can turn them into something to make money off of. You won't find much plastic in the scrap yard and you wont find metal to recycle for FREE. New plastic is being made daily through chemical processes. How much gold did the US make today? Remember nuclear fission stops producing new materials in the Sun at iron because of the amount of energy is not enough to go further. I threw away more "plastic" today than I did metal in all of the rest of this month. Not all is recyclable, but it is much easier to recycle plastic and more abundant now that we have the Pacific ocean with a Texas size mass of it floating in it.

Quote:
I don't really want a 10 pager on that one again

If a topic isn't worth discussing, then it either a) shouldn't be mentioned, or b) those not wishing to discuss it fully show just not enter the topic? I vote for B.
Edited by shadz
08/25/2014 6:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1158 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  03:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tkbslc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not worth the hassle of carrying rolls man.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2995 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I'll give you one better: one time about two years ago, when I found that I forgot to bring any other money, I paid for a loaf of bread with a large handful of 10 and 5 kopek coins - worth about 0.3 and 0.15 US cents respectively.

And I'm surprised one little detail about that Transnistrian idea didn't come up more often than it did: their plastic denominations are the largest, not the smallest. It won't be like introducing a plastic penny or nickel, it would be like introducing a plastic half or dollar.
(I prefer to just think of them as little funny-shaped banknotes; they're clearly only called "coins" for sheer publicity. I mean, it's not the earliest banknote I'm aware of that tries to look like it's a coin, either - that honor would go to the RSFSR 50 kopek note from 1923 )
Pillar of the Community
1325 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shadz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not worth the hassle of carrying rolls man.

Ideally you wouldn't have rolls of plastic coins, you would use them normally because the collect em in a jar cause they might be worth something later concept would be out.

I keep pocket change loose only until it becomes a roll or I need that much to spend. prefer not to spend loose because it means the kind of change I get back to look is less quarters so less chances for the ATB. CRH coins sit as I go through them all and then get rolled after they are done being looked.

I don't see I would collect plastic as if they are done like Canadian with nly a single mint, I am still debating if I should keep all those I have. So If plastic goes a step further like bills and has a single year of the design rather than the actual year of minting, that will make less to collect so less need for the coin jars. as you get one to keep and the rest being all the same, no need to keep them. They shouldnt even have them in rolls if they are plastic, just bags at that point. I don't really understand why we would need rolls of plastic coins at that point if nothing it really collectible for any sort of variety or metal content?
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first reaction--those would make really nice poker chips!
Part of me thinks that plastic coins with complex holograms/printing could be conceivable as coins someday, but it would depend a lot on public acceptance and use. On the other hand, you have the whole vending machine industry that's set up around coins. They would need to verify the patterns on plastic coins, or slugs could be easily fashioned and used. And of course, there are mint facilities, employees and machines, all set up for coining, including bullion and collector pieces. The only way I could imagine all that getting scrapped would be if metal coins were no longer practical. Another reason metal is used it for durability--excepting a few notorious coins--how long would a plastic coin last in everyday use?
Edited by DVCollector
08/26/2014 12:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2805 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nalaberong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plastic is fairly durable - think of all the plastic things people already carry in their pockets (key fobs, cell phone cases, etc.).
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John Paul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to wonder how durable they will be - I think a small thin piece of plastic will be more vulnerable than a cell phone case.

As to the poker chips - aren't they often made of clay? High quality chips certainly feel heavier than plastic to me, but it could just be a heavy kind of plastic I suppose.
Pillar of the Community
1325 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2014  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shadz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the type of plastic. Lego are thin for the most part but they are surely durable and long lasting and take a LOT of abuse. The thickness isn't that important after a point it becomes the width that causes the problem because the more flex a plastic coin would have, then the more chance it would have to break.

Just need that strength of one type of plastic mixed with the flexibility of another type of plastic or some rubber added. I remember an old game called Torpedo Run that was like Battleship, but you actually shot little plastic discs from one thing at the other boats to "destroy" them by hitting their target trigger, and those discs could take a beating! Thins they were the size of a nickel and had a pretty thick rim on them as well.

Ok I was wrong, they are about the width size of a penny and thickness of a nickel.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
548 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2014  05:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Demarco Bishopp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even though modern coins are basically junk, there is still something reassuring about them being made out of metal. They still feel "valuable" in a way that plastic discs never will.

Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2014  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nies. Had to pay tax on a FREE donut at Kripsy Kreme!

How the blazes do you tax FREE (read, NOTHING)? smh
Pillar of the Community
United States
1234 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2014  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ASLAN TVorlon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Saw this funny picture" http://goccf.com/t/171276

According to that the price of a Plastic Penny is 3.49 cents each, not sure how much it would be to produce them.

In my roll hunting I actually have found a plastic cent and a plastic dime, the dime was chipped so I would think that type of plastic might not be a good one for actual use.

This does seem to be an old topic... as far back as the 1960's... WHAT no more silver in coins!?!?!

Then the 1980's wait you can't take the copper out of pennies

Now it's Plastic, what's next Ceramics?

oh wait someone already did that.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2014  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Francium8787 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always imagined the us government using an alloy of different metals and then if a price goes up than that metal usage will be lowered so every US penny's melt was 0.5 cents!
Pillar of the Community
1325 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2014  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shadz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
According to that the price of a Plastic Penny is 3.49 cents each, not sure how much it would be to produce them.

That is the sell price. With things like this it carries a normal markup of 30%~40% markup from the retailer as well as the distributor markup which is probably 100%. Working backwards it is 1.16 cent markup each for the retailer, leaving 2.33 which was the markup of 1.16 again for the distributor. meaning they were sold for 1.17 cents each to the distributor so the manufacturer could make a profit. I would say cost to make these things is probably 0.17 portion meaning the manufacturer made a full cent off each...cent, while everyone else along the chain made just a little more.

Maybe we should all just start using Lego as coins where the single peg is 1 cent, 2 peg is 2 cent, etc, and haggle with windows and wheels and such? Could you imagine a cash register full of Lego?
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05