Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

CRH During Cold And Flu Season?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,782Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2014  11:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CLS12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's my situation. I work full time out of home office. I search 2 boxes of cents a week for past 3 weeks and would like to keep it up as I have established pickup/dumps and enjoy the hunt. My 2 kids at daycare/school, my wife is a teacher... Why am I the one with a bad cold when I don't leave house much during week? I'm blaming dirty coins... How do you pros avoid getting sick from the nasty cents? End rant.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2014  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins are probably one of the dirties items... think of where they've been!

After a good "hunting session" and before you do anything else you always have to clean your hands.. use sanitizer.. I have medistaph wipes...

While hunting.. minimize contact with anything else.. and if possible clean your "station" when you're finished...

After that.. look at your diet make sure you're getting all your nutrients and at least 40 min of exercise a day to boost your immune system...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5938 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2014  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found that hydration is key. I started drinking a minimum of 1/2 gallon of water a day (one of those huge gas station soda cups and a cup of black coffee or unsweetened tea) and I'm sick less than 2 days a year.

But I agree, don't touch anything but the coins while hunting and wash your hands thoroughly once you are done. Lots of the coins you are touching came from the ground or lord knows where else!
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
1325 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2014  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shadz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why am I the one with a bad cold when I don't leave house much during week? I'm blaming dirty coins... How do you pros avoid getting sick from the nasty cents?

So many things wrong with this every time I hear it, there is missing information. First, you could easily be more susceptible to the germs that make people sick that your wife or offspring. Second, they are bringing them in to you, and since you are staying in the house, then you are with the sick causing things ALL the time. Their dirty clothes that don't get washed until the next morning have traveled all around the house after they came in. This doesn't mean you have a dirty house, but is just a fact that you are closed up with those sick causing things, germs, bacteria, etc more than those that leave the house for longer periods of time. Thirdly, you work form a home office. That means either other people are coming into your office that could be sick, or paper work into your office that could carry the germs with it. Is your office a small space where you are always around this paperwork? Are you always in close proximity to the people that come to your home office?

Another thing is those paper in general may hold dormant illness causing things like mold. Where you can clean a coin or your hand, you cannot easily was sheets of paper with anti-bacterial soap. Paper gets musty and sometimes moldy and that can make you more susceptible to getting sick. Does your family often spend time in your home office or is it only you that spends a lot of time there? It might need a good cleaning if you are the one getting sick and they do not spend time in there so it might mean the office itself is the cause.

Is it an older house? Could there be mold or mildew in the walls or carpet of the home office that could cause you to get sick? Flu season is usually cold weather so you cannot ventilate very very in icy wind, but do you have enough ventilation for the other times of the year if not in a normal cold climate? Can you put some kind of ventilation?

You know the cents could be filthy, but those boxes they come in are something you would want your dinner served off of either. What do you do with the empty penny boxes? Wonder how many hands they passed to get to you? Could they have mold or mildew?

Not saying you do not know all this already, but just the questions I would ask and thing I would pose to myself if I had this happening. Went through similar with a friend that kept getting sick because someone they lived with went all over the palce and was brining in the sickness and didn't know about it or think about it and it stayed in the house for the person to get sick from being in the hosue for a longer period of time.

I have gotten sick before from doing boxes of cents, but I think that is more from the fact that I didn't take breaks and ended up with blackened hands and couldn't get them clean without scrubbing. You have to take break if you think it is the CRHingm and try to do it in a ventilated area because there is not just dirt on them but probably flakes of metal from the machines that roll them at Brinks, Loomis, etc. You get some of those metal fillings in you and you will start to feel weaker. Just getting them in your nose will give chance to cause you to seem sick with nose running trying to get rid of them.

Lots of fluids, lots of breaks when doing coins, wash hands often and before touching anything else like your face or clothing. Your eyes will probably thank you as well if you are looking for dates, mintmarks and varieties.

When you find the problem, you will know the right course to take, and if you find it is the coins, just change location to a more vented area and keep it clean if you can since they are daycare aged kids. I am hoping it is the coins being dirty for you and your family's sake. drink plenty of fluids and go for vitamin rich foods and find someplace in storage for the empty boxes if you keep them for any length of time. get well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2367 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2014  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wheatchaser140 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are so many variables when I comes to why you might be getting sick. I wouldn't blame it on the coins. When your kids come home from a daycare/school and your wife comes home after teaching at a school, this could be what's spreading germs. Schools are the dirtiest, germiest, nastiest places. Sickness will spread like wildfire through a school, and you have three family members coming home after spending six hours in a school with hundreds of cold/flu virus-carrying kids.

My advice? Get your flu shot, wash your hands, stay hydrated, take vitamins and probiotics, and most importantly, have your family do the same. Worry about coins covered in germs later.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2661 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2014  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Second, they are bringing them in to you, and since you are staying in the house, then you are with the sick causing things ALL the time.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17276 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2014  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most viruses are transmitted in aerosol form. You don't have to be a target from another's sneeze to get the 'bug'; just be in the same enclosed or air conditioned environment.

Nevertheless coins can be dirty, and the copper compounds on bronze coins can react with the slightly acidic oils on your fingers; your fingers can also become dirty and very slightly smelly.

The simple expedient of washing your hands after CRH in most cases is more than sufficient for good CRH numismatic hygene.
I always wash my hands after searching through coin dealers' junk boxes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
602 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2014  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YoshiRules to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"I always wash my hands after searching through coin dealers' junk boxes."

Same here My hands get VISIBLY blacker with whatever the junk bins's coins have on them, that and just CHR in general. I call it "coin fingers"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4037 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2014  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gloves. Thin ones.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2014  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Danhelmick98 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I first started coin roll hunting I got sick a few times and it was probably from the filthy coins I touched.
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2014  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CLS12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the good and thoughtful advice! I am feeling almost better. I am not one that gets sick often so I fall harder when I do ie: man cold. I generally have ocd and wash my hands non stop while going through rolls and for hours after. Your tips on cleaning work space is where I've got to approve. I generally use my desk and put coins on paper that I toss after. I bought wipes this weekend to add to my clean up routine. There was a good cross breeze going on my last search, more like a head wind so that could have blown the germs in my face last box.

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,782Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05