Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Tanit-Persephone/Horse, Sicily, Siculo-Punic 320bc?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
1106 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2014  9:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Topcat7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am wondering if this coin is Tanit-Persephone/Horse, Sicily, Siculo-Punic 320BC?/

I bought it as Syracuse/Himera but I would like to identify it further if possible.

Does anyone have any ideas for me, please?

Here is Tanit-Persephone/Horse, Sicily, Siculo-Punic
320BC

Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2014  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin does appear to from Punic Carthage. I would suspect the coin is early third century BC. You coin is certainly not the one pictured. Your coin is Tanit / horse galloping left. There night have been a palm tree but I am not sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2014  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Himerian coins that I've seen usually have a wreath with dots in the middle. Yours looks very much like a Punic Carthage coin to me. Do you have the weight and diameter? Carthaginian coins mostly followed the same motif (tanit on the obverse, some variations of a horse and/or palm tree on the reverse, sometimes a horses head on the obverse) so I have trouble telling them apart.
Pillar of the Community
1106 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2014  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Topcat7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

19mm wide
3mm thick
4-5gm in weight

Hope this helps.

Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2014  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a similar weight/size from around 260 BC but with a horse head reverse instead of the whole horse. Afraid I can't help too much more besides saying it looks Punic.
Pillar of the Community
1106 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2014  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Topcat7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I have located this (similar) coin.

Does this help?

It is Zeugitania, Siculo-Punic 4-3c BC Head of Tanit, horse rearing left

Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2014  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that looks pretty darn close TC. I was looking for a palm tree as well, but don't think there is one..i believe you nailed it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05