Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Question To Those Stacking Nickels

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 4,192Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8849 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know fo no world coins containing 99.9% nickel as the Canadian 5 cents had.
From 1968 to 2000 all Canadian circulation 10,25 and 50 cent coins were struck from pure nickel, as were all circulating dollar coins from 1968 to 1986.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
07/17/2021 12:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2021  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinnewcomer1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM - thanks for the info!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4492 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2021  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually there are quite a few world coins that are pure nickel in the period 1960-2000 or so (I can't say the exact percentage), such as Netherlands, South Africa, Venezuela (the 5 Bolivar is quite big), French Polynesia. I am sure that Numista would give a complete list.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2652 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I decided to put even those Canadian nickels with Queen Elizabeth in flips if prior to 1982 as I saw that since 1980 the price of nickel has on average shown a nice healthy gain.

if looking at it from an increase in metal's value why are they going in to flips?
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Canada
1 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 107-77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP, would you mind sharing the dealers name who purchases the nickels in bulk from you as I've had no luck finding anyone in the Edmonton area. They're all weirdos here. Though I'm not so certain I'd want to ship nickels to Ontario as the mailing charge could possibly eat away all the profit above face value. I guess it depends what the dealer pays. And if nickel goes up more, which I think it will because of the war as Russia is a main producer of what do you call it, tier one nickel, high grade.
Learn More...
United States
113522 Posts
Learn More...
Canada
10189 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
107-77, the only dealers I know who do this, are in southern Ontario. If you are in Edmonton, and have lots (e.g., more than a ton), have you thought about approaching Sherritt International?

As for international nickel supply - Canada is one of the largest producers of nickel in the world, so domestic demand and value may not align perfectly with world markets.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Canada
26 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beaver22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't put the 99.9% nickel nickels in a protected flip.
The cupronickels often don't get damage, so I don't put them in a flip either.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8849 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the Mint
Quote:

Is it illegal to melt or deface Canadian coins?

The Currency Act and The Canadian Criminal Code clearly state that no person shall melt down, break up or use otherwise than as currency any coin that is legal tender in Canada
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
308 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add XWLCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's the going rate for these pre 82 nickels nowadays? I have a small hoard, but I wouldn't mind adding a few boxes to it. Is there anywhere that's selling them for like 1.5x face?

Edit: in southern Ontario
Edited by XWLCoins
05/23/2022 1:25 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 4,192Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: