Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Third Edition! - Ended At 1487 Waiting On 1486 -

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,662 / Views: 235,417Next Topic
Page: of 245
Learn More...
United States
94221 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4199 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  11:34 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
94221 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I saw you had replied I was completely expecting you to post a coin with 1487 counterstamped on it somewhere.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4199 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2018  06:31 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's awesome Jbuck. Wish I'd thought of it.
Learn More...
United States
94221 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2018  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe you can try that in the Fourth Edition when it hits a snag.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11922 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2018  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a coin from 1487 on eBay!

But I did not buy it.

There are two coins that have been posted on that site recently, with both being from the Delhi Sultanate and going for the same price (here and here). Both coins are dated 892 AH, meaning they were made around 1487 in the Gregorian calendar. But at a little over $40.00 a coin and a little over $20.00 to get them into Canada, that is too expensive for me. But they are there, if anyone is interested.
Learn More...
United States
94221 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found a coin from 1487 on eBay!

Quote:
But I did not buy it.

Quote:
There are two coins that have been posted on that site recently, with both being from the Delhi Sultanate and going for the same price (here and here). Both coins are dated 892 AH, meaning they were made around 1487 in the Gregorian calendar. But at a little over $40.00 a coin and a little over $20.00 to get them into Canada, that is too expensive for me. But they are there, if anyone is interested.
Good to know. Any takers?
Valued Member
76 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add louie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins with the date 1487 with either modern numerals or Roman numerals
will be very difficult. Most are R-3 (7-10 known) R-4 (4-6 known) R-5 (2-3 known)
or R-6 (unique or uncollectable). A coin with an AH date may be the best example.
Learn More...
United States
94221 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A coin with an AH date may be the best example.
Yes, and well within the rules.
Valued Member
76 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2018  03:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add louie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What happens now? We have been stuck here for over a week. Do we
contact someone on the forum who collects Islamic coins and ask if
they have a corresponding date? Do we move on to the next date (1486 AD)
which is almost as difficult to find with Roman numerals or modern
numerals. While I enjoy most era's in coins, the next few centuries
are my favorites.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3307 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2018  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We've been stuck on 1491 for longer, IIRC. Yet we managed to clear that. (With Islamic, yes.)

Now we're waiting for 1487.

The only reason we would stop (other than by the 4th edition catching up) is if there are no coins of a particular date known.
I don't know what is the most recent date for which this is true; it might well be as late as 11th or even 12th century.

(I know that it is apparently true for many dates in the 5th century, so, sadly, this thread will never reach BC. Unless there are enough single-year types, anyway.)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4199 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2018  04:05 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
18234 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2018  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the next few centuries are my favorites.

@louie, you may enjoy this thread:

http://goccf.com/t/306045
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
94221 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2895 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2018  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do we
contact someone on the forum who collects Islamic coins and ask if they have a corresponding date

I have some islamic coins, but none with the correct date! Sorry!
Page: of 245 Previous TopicReplies: 3,662 / Views: 235,417Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 9.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05