Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is A Vlds Coin?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43335 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2015  2:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This subject comes up from time to time. The die age and show die wear like we do when we get old.
The die starts in EDS (Early Die State) and makes a few coins and progresses to the next die state MDS (Mid Die State). Then it strike many more coins and it progresses to LDS (Late Die State). Then when it is ready for retirement, it reaches the VLDS (Very Late Die State). Each of these die states progress after coins are struck. Here is an idea of how many it will strike.

But moving on to today's discussion, the VLDS die state coins. I found a quarter on my desk that I was saving for the State Quarter series in a 2X2 and noticed a large amount of die wear on this coin. So I thought I would share images of this one coin. I started out just with the reverse, then before putting it away, I niced the obverse was just as interesting. so here we go:

Note how the die wear affects the devices as the devices looks their shape from the original state the die started out with. So when buying a coin, look for earlier die state coins. Varieties will show fresher doubling, nice looking fields and the coin will smile when you take images of it. So look closer and get the right coin the first time.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2015  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent information.

Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2015  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scurry64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding tutorial. You're an asset to this community.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3114 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2015  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Pete2226's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! Very helpful!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2015  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exceptionally well done. Thank you.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2015  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga3375 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always learn something from your pictures. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4041 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2015  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic, "show and tell."
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43335 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2015  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. By the way the coin has no premium. Just a product of cheap dies. It was one of those scratch your head moments when you realize you have a BU dud coin. LOL
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2015  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chriscoinz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. Learn something ev'ry day.
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2015  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin_kid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very helpful! Thanks for showing us!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3114 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2015  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Pete2226's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The die age and show die wear like we do when we get old.

Thanks, coop. You have given me some new language to describe myself! I'll just say I have "die wear" from now on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
534 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kurdlezuit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good info, as usual. Thanks Coop
Pillar of the Community
United States
1132 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CopperCastle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Outstanding tutorial. You're an asset to this community.

Absolutely Exceptional! Thank you for putting this together.
Edited by CopperCastle
01/23/2015 12:06 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43335 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again. I used a different method to create the images. I made the first one, then moved the images onto a duplicate of the first one. I changed the word "Date" to "Device" then moved new images onto the duplicate. Making all 9 pretty much from the same original image. That way there were all alike with a different image in each image. I make the width the same size after editing and moved it onto the framework, then erased the extra height to make them fit into the window. The one with AMERICA, is one I didn't get cropped correctly on the top of the image, but I left it so I could show how I made the images many times in a row without having to put all the lettering/borders/bars on them. I noticed the problem on the next one and fixed it and continued on.

I decided to show how I created my images in a different thread. So look for it. Enjoy
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
01/23/2015 2:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2632 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2015  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoyed both threads, awesome job Coop. Great pointers in the images thread too.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43335 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2016  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coopthread=

Added this to make searching easier.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
07/23/2016 2:06 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05