Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Have To Move The Collection

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  11:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pete0808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone.

First time post. I'm very impressed with the quality of this forum and wish there was something like this in the old days.

I've been a collector of coins and paper money since the early 60s. Nothing like finding an old coin in a dresser to pique one's curiosity

My collection has consisted of American and European coins with some American and foreign paper money.

I'm trying to find the safest, yet cheapest way to ship my coin collection across the country. Currently it's all in a safe deposit box.

Well, I need to move my collection 2000 miles and don't really want to drive for 5 days with it and have to worry about an auto breakdown or theft in a hotel.

Sending the collection by post and insuring it seems to be the most sensible method. But it seems that these days packages go missing a lot. So to collect on a claim, one would need some kind of documentation as to the value.

But I have hundreds of different and undocumented and unvalued stuff. It would be a nightmare to have to catalog and value the collection before moving and I don't live there anymore.

So I would like to ask those of you out there with experience of having to collect on an insurance claim for some opinions on how to protect oneself against loss?

Also which shipping method is the safest and most reliable way to ship? It would be probably be a week before I could pick up the collection. The collection would be the most vulnerable when waiting to be picked up.

Sorry if this has all been discussed before.

Thanks again.

Pete
Pillar of the Community
United States
3257 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Pete,
It might help if you could give some idea as to the bulk/weight of the coins to be transported.
Some ideas from the members will follow.
Good luck.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2797 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  11:19 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You will probably want to ship your collection via Registered Mail. It's going to be expensive, but you'll have the most peace of mind with this service. Your package(s) will be under "lock and key" while in transit.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thinking if you over insure, this could be a tipoff for postal thieves?
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krusti-Koin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be uncomfortable shipping any items without being able to prove what the contents were, and the value of those items. In the event of a loss, you will be asked for bills, an inventory, etc., in order to process your claim. Is is practical for you to return at a later date to retrieve the collection from the box? This way you could make personally transporting the collection your main focus.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pete0808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the collection would be 10-15 pounds. I will have to make 2 or 3 trips to complete the move.
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krusti-Koin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand your difficulty. At the same time it is important that you do not minimize the need for documentation. No matter how you send it, or insure it, the insurer is not going to make it easy for you to collect on your claim, in the event you should have one. It's not right, but that's the way it is. You say you lost a BU 1909S VBD, the insurer is going to say "how do we know it wasn't a VF30". Myself,I find little comfort in insurance..
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32579 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I say take it with you and keep an eye on it as much as possible.You will be your own insurance policy
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19156 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, the collection would be 10-15 pounds. I will have to make 2 or 3 trips to complete the move.

I don't see a problem. Not sure how your going to travel but if your going to make several trips, and the total of your collection is about 15 pounds, just take about 5 pounds with you each time. A small brief case should easily hold 5 pounds and that would be easy to handle. Of course if your flying, you might be asked to check it. If your driving, you could take that with you to restaurants and a motel or hotel.
OR you could have me come over and pick it all up. Then there would be no problem since you'll never see them again.
Not sure if anyone is going with you but if so, that would make it easier to have a few others take some of the weight with also a small brief case.
Sending by UPS or other such organizations is possible but risky. I use UPS to send toys to relatives in other states and as a rule, about 85% get there undamaged. Unfortunately that means about 15% get damaged.
just carl
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Whatever you decide to do, get photos first. A digital camera and a baggie full of flash drives will be enough for your records.

The ANA offers several benefits, one of which is reduced insurance rates for coin collections. You might want to look into that. The insurance company may offer tips on moving your valuables.

That's all the advice I have to offer since I've never had to move my coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12921 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your going to make 2 or 3 trips then I'm assuming you'll be driving. I agree with john 1, take
it all with you. you don't want to leave any of your collection ( I'm assuming in an empty house )there for the taking. any kind of postal service would make me very nervous.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
10 or 15 pounds should physically go with you, even if you're flying. If you must ship, break it up into more than one chunk and ship Overnight.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pete0808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any opinions as to the safety of USPS vs UPS vs Fedex? I just had a problem with Fedex today. Couldn't bother to ring the doorbell. Had to leave a missed delivery sticker on the door.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7189 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Drive them and ship only what is really valuable, send via USPS Registered/insured only. 1913 Liberty nickels have been sent this way. If your collection is really, really valuable you can look into a brinks move, where they come get the package and insure it's safe delivery, but that will cost a bunch, it's the way many of the auction firms and big coin dealers take million dollar inventories to shows.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16315 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  06:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any opinions as to the safety of USPS vs UPS vs Fedex?

Sure, USPS Registered mail is the absolute safest way to ship. Even the private insurers agree. When you compare their rates for insuring packages shipped by the various services you'll find their rates for Registered mail package are half or less than the other methods. Why? Because they know the package will get there. The Post office knows it too. The insurance rates for Registered are much lower than for other mail services, and they are willing to insured Registered for up to $25K but the maximum for anything else they will only insure to $5K. Why? Because it WILL get there.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16623 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Leave the collection with a trusted friend. Visit them at a later date.
Pick the collection up at that time. You could carry the most valuable coins on a return flight on your person, say six coins in a small coin wallet, and most of the less valuable coins in carry on hand luggage. Coin books could be included in stowed baggage.

Costs more, but you get to visit your friends, perhaps on a holiday. I use cheap backpacker accommodation until I would be ready to return to my new home.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05