Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Maybe I'll Try Tilt-Shift...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,776Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4130 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  8:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, thinking about the experimentation I'm doing with lighting, it occurred to me that it might be a good time to try out using tilt-shift as an alternative to axial lighting. The apo-rodagon-D is a medium format duplication lens, after all, so the image circle should be big enough... Are there decent tilt-shift adapters out there for M42, or decent M42 bellows with that capability?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3266 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not run across any tilt/shift in M42.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
4130 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2015  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grrrr... I'm finding some M42 to EOS-M tilt/shift adapters (not quite right) and some crazy-large-format-mount to EOS tilt-shift adapters (and some M42-crazy-large-format-mount adapters) but the combination of those two ends up being almost as expensive as crazy-expensive Novaflex bellows...
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2015  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a Mirex Mamiya 645 to EOS Tilt shift adapter on my Sony A7r( via an EOS-nex adapter) somewhere here is a thread with my experience. I like it alot...but it is expensive( the Mirex was made to suit the A7r even though its EOS mount). The cost is in the engineering....it works brilliantly and simply! The cost all up of two mamiya medium format lenses( one a macro) and the adapter was the equivalent of the canon 24mm tilt shift. Bellows may be the way to go contax made a very nice tilt shift bellows( I have seen one recently with an M42 mount) Hama also produced a multi mount Bellows that looks like a miniature view camera......BUT! There is always a But! I have a Minolta Tilt shift bellows. I only get about 5mm of shift, to be honest it just isn't worth(cost wise) it for such a small movement. with the mirex I get a maximum of 15 mm shift , although 10 is the maximum I use on my full frame camera.

Edit: to get the full benefit of Tilt shift you do need to use a lens that projects an image circle much larger than your ameras sensor. As a general principle for an APSc sensor you need to use a full frame lens. For a full frame sensor you need to go for medium format lenses.
Edited by austrokiwi
01/27/2015 11:11 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4130 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been using the 75mm apo-rodagon-D which is a medium format duplication lens, and my camera is APS-C. At the magnifications I'm usually using, the image circle should be big enough, though I imagine there will be some degradation toward the edge of the circle. I like the lens and was hoping to keep using it (and the rest of my M42 stuff) if possible, but I've failed to find the proper collection of adapters.

You say the adapter you have is EOS on the camera side? What mount is the lens side? Can *that* be adapted to M42?
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My adapter is , as you say EOS on the camera side. Lens side is mamiya 645. The adapter costs US$500.00 approx. Performance with Mamiya sekor C 35mm n lens is better than the canon 24mm tilt shift. Its not suitable for adapting to M42. Any Tilt shift adapter is going to cost. I don't use tilt for macro...Shift I have found the most useful. you might want to try just a shift adapter. Your enlarger lens sounds perfect
Pillar of the Community
United States
4130 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't found a shift adapter, but I may be able to jury rig something...
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
kippon makes one
Pillar of the Community
United States
4130 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2015  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm only finding ones for M42 to EOS-M, which isn't going to work. I need M42-M42 or M42-EOS. :/
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2015  01:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK then you may have to assemble your own adapter. M42-what ever mount you can find a decent shift or tilt shift adapter in. You might be able to print what you need better but heres how to assemble an odd ball adapter: first buy a cheap step down filter ring ( 52mm -42mm)Usually the cheaper ones are the ones that have what you want( a female thread all the way through) You can then screw your M42 lens into one half of the step down filter ring:

Heres an example of one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/52mm-to-4...em1c03925af2

Then you get a reversing ring M42- to the mount of your tilt shift adapter:

that reversing ring screws into the other half of the step down ring.

The problem is is finding that reversing ring. However I think you get the idea. If you cant get an M42 to "your mount" reversing ring then reverse the buying process find what reversing ring is easiest to get. then get a cheap step down/set up filter ring that will enable you to connect the M42 lens to the reversing ring.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3266 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2015  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CF...are you trying to shift the lens as it mounts to the bellows, or the bellows as it mounts to the camera?...Ray
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2015  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
or the bellows as it mounts to the camera?.

Unless the bellows is the Hama Mini view camera type( allows for swing as well as tilt and shift) or the Mamiya Medium format bellows I really doubt one could even get an image on the camera sensor by shifting the bellows as it mounts to the camera.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4130 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2015  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't actually *tried* either. I'm just exploring what's out there (if anything) for tilt-shift for my setup. I happen to know a machinist, so now I'm wondering how complicated it would be to make a very simple shift adapter with m42x1 threads on each end...
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2015  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heres how the tilt shift adapter I use works with a Mamiya 80mm macr0. The coin is in the lenses peripheral vision( so to speak) yet is centered on the sensor. The coin is not quite out from under the lens but it makes for a different lighting approach. I plan to replace the 80 mm lense with the 120mm. the extra distance should see any coin completely out from under the lens:

Note that shot must have been an early one because there is a full 15mm of shift being used.

Heres the sort of result( this coin is diabolical to photograph!!) its silver dollar sized I used only 10 degrees of shift there was no editing other to put reverse and obverse in the same file

I have had people recommend tilt to me but when I have questioned further I found that no one had actually used tilt. My experience with tilt has been disappointing

Pillar of the Community
United States
4130 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2015  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because of angles and things, it seems like it would only have to be about half-way out from under the lens to get an axial-equivalent, so that much shift might be enough.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,776Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05