Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Just Bought My Father His "Dream" Coin

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  3:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have to admit, that I am not a Lincoln cent aficionado but my father always mentioned one iconic coin ever since I was 9 years old, the 1909-SVDB Lincoln Cent. I pulled the trigger and I bought one for him.

Reeded Edge came into a hoard of SVDB's recently and they just listed a bunch of AU's. I picked the one that I thought had the best eye appeal over all (regardless of grade).

I actually will not see the coin in hand as it will be directly shipped to my father. I'm anxious to hear what he has to say when he receives it.

Here are the pictures as taken by The Reeded Edge.

Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4697 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that's a pretty coin and a great gift but that is a huge edge hit in my opinion. did you notice it when you bought it?
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 19 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10289 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. I see that ding too, thedollarman. Hoping it's just in the photo or on the plastic...
Pillar of the Community
United States
4040 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow
Keep us informed when he gets this amazing gift.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oddly enough, no, I did not notice the ding. Yes, that's definitely on the coin.

Quite frankly I don't think my father will notice it nor care.

Do I like it....absolutely not. Realistically, the ding was considered market acceptable (perhaps they may have netted the grade...dunno) and hopefully will not be a major hinderance for a future resale. Hopefully, in hand, that ding does not look quite as massive as the obverse reveals it as.
Did someone mention 3CN?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10289 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quite frankly I don't think my father will notice it nor care.

Perfect then!

I think it's pretty darn nice regardless. And the ding looks 5x bigger than it actually is blown up like that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4756 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heh. I remember when I was a kid (some 40 years ago) I would dream about someday finding one of these in pocket change and instantly becoming rich! Of course, back then I didn't really have any solid grasp of how much things were worth and what it would take to actually become rich.

Strangely enough, I was recently talking to my dad (who is now in his 70s and who used to collect coins before I was born) and mentioned some of the coins I was planning on looking for when I made my annual trip to the big coin show this year. When I mentioned trying to find a nice example of this coin, he instantly dismissed the idea since it would be way too expensive. I didn't tell him that I already have a number of coins in the $1000-2000 range and should be able to find a nice example in that same range. Of course, maybe he was just thinking about top-end examples (MS66 and higher).

Anyway, thanks for sharing and thanks for the memories!

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
........hopefully will not be a major hinderance for a future resale.

Something tells me that will be the furthest think from his mind.

He will keep this coin forever, not only because of what it is, but also because of who it came from.

Funny how when someone is proud of the wonderful selfless gesture they make towards a loved one, all some people can do is find faults. This is a wonderful thing you are doing for your Dad. This is an iconic coin that will definitely make you the #1 son for a while.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7723 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking key date and a terrific gift on your part!

If I give you my daughters email address...how are your persuasive skills?
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Edited by oih82w8
02/19/2015 4:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4697 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry if it came off the wrong way with pointing out the dent, I was mearly trying to help in case you didn't notice it and wanted to exchange it or something. It is a wonderful gift and a wonderful coin with lots of over all eye appeal. Its great what you did for your dad and I would be happy with it if I were your dad. Please if I did come off the wrong way forgive me
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 19 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm sorry if it came off the wrong way with pointing out the dent, I was mearly trying to help in case you didn't notice it and wanted to exchange it or something. It is a wonderful gift and a wonderful coin with lots of over all eye appeal. Its great what you did for your dad and I would be happy with it if I were your dad. Please if I did come off the wrong way forgive me

Dollarman, no problem. I'm just as guilty for being brutal in my assessments of coins on the Classic Forum. I must admit overlooking something that I shouldn't have.

Regardless, I think I still would have pulled the trigger if I had noticed it. I've recently reviewed a lot of S-VDBs in similar grade and higher and, honestly, most of them exhibit problems much more evident and serious then that rim ding, including ones in CAC'd PCGS holders of the same grade. None of the ones I've recently seen have the overall eye appeal of this one. So, without seeing it in hand (for now), I'm happy with the purchase.
Did someone mention 3CN?
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a very thoughtful gift, since you've known for some time how much he's wanted it. Well done!!
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nice purchase. The ding is not too bad. Better there than on the fields or devices.
Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rayman311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice gift! I'm sure he will love it!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16329 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a beautiful example!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9189 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way to go Prethen. I can honestly say I have not seen anyone make a wiser coin investment than this. I'm sure your dad will love it.
1883-O Nut
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05